Monday, January 4, 2021

2020's "65 Hike Challenge" - How Did I Do?

All right, I've tallied the numbers, compiled the stats, and checked them against my 2020 goals.  Time for the reckoning!

 

Hike No. 28 - Windy Ridge to Abraham Trail, MSH

Yes, despite COVID, wildfires, and a few horribly rainy weekends, I was able to finish 65 hikes in 2020.  In addition to completing 65 hikes for the year, I set the following goals for myself:

  1.   5 of the hikes must be overnight backpacking trips  
  2.   25% of the hikes must be on "new to me" trails
  3.   At least one must be a long (15+ mile) dayhike
  4.   25 miles of this year's hikes must be new miles on the PCT
  5.   One trail in a state I've never hiked in before 

Once again, I created a spreadsheet, totaling my mileage, elevation gain, and many other interesting-to-me stats.

 

Hike No. 58, Lower Deschutes River Trail

So how did I do?

Drumroll.....here are the results:

Total Hikes Completed:  65

Total miles hiked:   526.5 miles

Total Elevation Gain:  94,780 vertical feet

 

Hike No. 33 - Burroughs Mtn Loop, MRNP

Goal #1 - Didn't complete.  Didn't even go backpacking once.  I'd like to blame COVID, but it was just me being lazy.

Goal #2 - Completed.  A whopping 38% of 2020's hikes were on "new to me" trails.

Goal #3 - Completed.  My longest hike was 16.3 miles in one day

Goal #4 - Completed.  I logged a total of 25.5 "new to me" miles on the Pacific Crest Trail

Goal #5 - Not Completed.  And since out-of-state travel was not advised for most of the year, I totally blame COVID for this one!


Hike No. 57 - Hamilton Mountain

More Interesting (at least to me) statistics:

57% of my hikes were solo.  I was surprised by this because I felt like I hiked solo a lot due to COVID. But my hubby accompanied me on 16 hikes, my friend Young on 9 and my friend Catherine on 5.

July, August and October were the months with the most hikes, tallying 9 each.  In April I logged a big fat zero hikes, due to COVID shutting everything down.

40% of my hikes were out of state.  However, nearly all of these were in neighboring Washington (24 total) and only 2 were in Montana.  

My longest hike, at 16.3 miles, was hike #31, PCT on Mt Adams.  My shortest hike, 2.2 miles, was hike #36, the Cleetwood Cove Trail at Crater Lake National Park.  The hike with the most elevation gain (3200 vertical feet) was hike #33, the Burroughs Mountain Trail at Mt Rainier National Park.

I only repeated three trails - Gales Creek to Storey Burn Trail, Bayocean Spit, and of course Hardy Ridge, one of my favorite "go-to" trails. 

I must really like Mt St Helens, because in 2020 I made 6 hiking visits at various trails around the mountain.

 

Hike No. 36 - Cleetwood Cove, Crater Lake NP


Hike No. 48 - Lakes Trail, MRNP

My Favorite Hikes of 2020:

#1 - Frog Lake Butte to Lower Twin Lake, Mt Hood National Forest

#7 -Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop, Columbia River Gorge

#28 - Windy Ridge to Plains of Abraham, Mt St Helens 

#32 - Berkeley Park - Mt Rainier National Park

#33 - Burroughs Mtn Loop - Mt Rainier National Park

#36 - Cleetwood Cove, Crater Lake National Park

#43 - Boundary Trail from Johnston Ridge to St Helens Lake, Mt St Helens National Volcanic Monument

#47 - Skyline Trail, Paradise Glacier, Golden Gate Trail, Mt Rainier National Park

#48 - Lakes Trail, Mt Rainier National Park

#57 - Hamilton Mountain, Columbia River Gorge

#58 - Lower Deschutes River Trail, Eastern Columbia River Gorge

#65 - Bennett Pass snowshoe, Mt Hood National Forest


Hike No. 65 - Bennett Pass Snowshoe

Favorite New Trail - Gales Creek to Storey Burn in the Oregon Coast Range.  Not only is it close to home, this trail wanders through lovely, mossy old growth and second growth forests.  I liked this trail so much I hiked it twice in 2020.

 

Hike No. 61 - Gales Creek

Best Surprise Spur of the Moment Hike - Hike #21, PCT from Lolo Pass to Top Spur Junction.  A dismal rainy day, I almost turned around and went home.  But parking at Lolo Pass a couple of hikers gave glowing descriptions of a wonderful rhododendron bloom on the PCT so I decided to check it out.  Turned out to be an amazing hike - the trail was thick with pink rhodies!

 

Hike No. 21 - PCT from Lolo Pass

Best Sunset Hike - Hike #25, Coffin Mountain.  Normally I hike during daylight hours so this was a totally new experience.  But I picked a great place to watch the sun drop and the hike down in the dark wasn't too bad.

 

Hike No. 25 - Coffin Mtn

 

Best Wildflowers - Hike #32, Berkeley Park, Mt Rainier.  Since I missed the spring wildflower bloom (dang COVID!) I had to rely on summer blooms for my wildflower fix.  Berkeley Park was totally amazing!  Definitely going on my "must repeat" list for next summer.

 

Hike No. 32 - Berkeley Park, MRNP

Best Fall Colors - Hike #47, Golden Gate Trail, Mt Rainier.  Once again Mt Rainier NP for the win!  The slopes here were covered with a kaleidoscope of hues. 

 

Hike No. 47 - Golden Gate Trail, MRNP

Best Winter Hike - Hike #1, Frog Lake Butte to Lower Twin Lake.  I really enjoy winter hiking.  Not only did this trail have lovely scenery, the friendly gray jays were fun to watch.

 

Hike No. 1 - Frog Lake, Mt Hood NF

Best Selfie - I was very proud of myself for capturing a self portrait on each of my 65 hikes.  I had many favorites, and it was a difficult choice, but I think I have to go with the pic of me holding the golden larch needles (Hike #50)


Hike No. 50 - Larch March - Fret Creek, Divide Trail, Lookout Mtn


And finally.....my number one favorite hike of 2020:

Hike No. 7 - Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop in the snow!  I headed to the Columbia River Gorge on a frigid, wet March day.  It was so cold, the rain was starting to turn to slush as I drove through the Gorge.  I almost turned my car around multiple times, but badly needing a getaway I persevered.  At the trailhead, I donned full raingear and began climbing up the trail.  Then a magical thing happened.  As I gained elevation, the rain transformed into fluffy snowflakes, coating everything in a layer of white.  It was so beautiful!  An expected wet, miserable hike turned into a delightful trek through a winter wonderland.

 

Hike No. 7 - Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now - what are my hiking goals for 2021?

Well, I'm still trying to decide.  I've enjoyed recording all my hikes on a separate blog page, so I'm going to continue that tradition in 2021.  However, I'm not sure I'll set a goal number of hikes for this year.  Between COVID and wildfires, it was a huge effort to complete 65 hikes in 2020, and I'm not sure I want that pressure again.  

I'll create a new "hiking 2021" page in the next day or two and record my goals there.  So you'll have to check back and see what I come up with!

 

Hike No. 43 - Boundary Trail from Johnston Ridge to St Helens Lake, MSH

For a recap of all my 2020 hikes, check out the "65 Hike Challenge - 2020" page - this tab can be found directly under the blog header.


13 comments:

  1. ...you have enjoyed so many hikes and I'm thankful that you have taken my along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is impressive! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done amazingly well this year. Covid has turned the world upside down but you managed to achieve the majority of your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year has started like last year finished, we are still in the same situation and will be for a while. I certainly did not do what I would like to have done and am making no plans at the moment. I admire what you did last year, in the UK I do not think it would have been possible and if some one did they were irresponsible but unfortunately there are a lot of people like that here. Look forward to what you have install for us this year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Linda,
    Great review of your hikes, you live in a such a beautiful area for hiking. I love both Washington and Oregon for their fabulous views. It is wonderful you have captured all your hikes in these beautiful photos. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a year! But now that you are retired getting a large number of hikes should be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! aLong the way you saw and captured stunning beauty. Thanks for sharing these images.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! That is amazing. You certainly have a lot of perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome goals and amazing hikes. You did a fantastic job reaching your goals and as always thank you for sharing your wonderful hiking photos. Here's to many more in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have always been my "go-to" friend for seeing what hiking is like is an area of our wonderful country that is totally different from mine! Loved this recap and looking forward to seeing your goals for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A brilliant year even with Covid restrictions. Totally admire your energy, enthusiasm, persistence, photography and blogging.
    So looking forward to tagging along on your first year of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did great!! I love all your photos and the places you have been!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.