Sunday, January 17, 2021

Hardy Ridge - January Edition

A new year called for a fresh beginning to the hiking tally.  So on the first weekend of 2021, I started things out right with a trek up a nearby favorite, Hardy Ridge.


Leafless forest


There's lots to love about this trail.  For one, located on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, it's a short drive from home.  For another, it climbs up a high ridge with fantastic views of the adjacent foothills and mountains, as well as the Columbia River below.  And during certain times of the year, it's forests and high ridge erupt with wildflowers.  But best of all, this trail can be hiked year-round, making it a great option for winter days.

 

Sun rays filtering through the trees


Now that I'm retired I've become a huge weather-watcher, scanning the local forecast to pick the best days for my outdoor recreation pursuits.  This particular day sunny weather was predicted, which called for a hike with views.

 

White bark trees


 

I started my journey on an abandoned road, lined with lush forest.  Although the leaves were long-gone, the stark white trunks and mossy branches made for great photo subjects.  And the sun's rays streaming through the woods were also mighty eye-catching.

 

Spooky, mossy forest


At one trail junction, I captured an image of the moss-lined path meandering through a fairy-tale forest.

 

Path through a fairy-tale forest


 

A series of old roads and trails led me steeply uphill until I was nearly to the top of Hardy Ridge.  Here I was met by strong winds and surprise snow and ice.

 

Frosty leaves

 

My feet slid on ice-covered rocks.  Chilled by the wind, I stopped to pull on my puffy jacket, gloves and knit hat.  I began to think that due to the wind and ice, an attempt to reach Phlox Point, my day's destination, might not happen.  But I soldiered on anyway, to see how far I could get.

 

Snow on Hardy Ridge


On top of the ridge, the grasses were covered in a light skiff of snow.  Adjacent bushes were coated with a layer of frost.

 

Frosty needles

Frosty needles of a nearby spruce tree were beautiful.


Looking ahead to Phlox Point


Trudging through the snowy trail, hunkered down against the ferocious wind gusts, I looked ahead to Phlox Point.  I knew I had to cross a talus slope to get up there.  If the rocks were covered with ice, there was no way I'd attempt to climb through it.  But I had to at least check things out.


Phlox Point selfie with Mt Hood


Lucky for me, the rocky slope was open to full sun, so there was no evidence of snow or ice to be found.  Encouraged, I climbed through the talus and emerged onto the final ridge leading to Phlox Point.  I was gonna make it after all!


Amazing Mt Hood views

At Phlox Point, I found another group huddled behind a patch of trees.  Choosing a spot far enough away for proper social distance, I sat down and enjoyed a well-earned lunch break.  The trees provided an excellent wind break.  Now sheltered and sitting in full sun, I was even able to warm up a little.


Looking across the ridge

The other group having lunch at Phlox Point were friendly.  Before they left one of the men mentioned they'd driven by the trailhead to the newly-reopened Eagle Creek Trail and found it overflowing with vehicles at 8:30 in the morning.  Here on Hardy Ridge, I'd only seen a handful of people thus far that day.  Another reason to love this trail!


Crow couple

Rested and refreshed, it was time for me to descend.  But before leaving, I wanted to capture a selfie for my blog's newly-created 2021 hiking page.  Propping the camera on top of my backpack, I set the timer and ran to a spot on the ridge.  A happy accident - not only did I get a good image of myself, I also happened to position myself right next to Mt Hood!


Fantastic views!

Ah yes, Mt Hood was now visible.  Clouds had obscured the mountain on my ascent, but during my lunch break they'd miraculously cleared away.  The mountain was now out - her gleaming white peak a beacon shining across the Columbia River Gorge.  My descent may have been delayed by a prolonged photography session.


Looking east down the Columbia River Gorge

Finally picking my way across the ridge, I came upon a crow couple sitting on the moss-covered rocks.  The birds didn't seem fazed by my presence and I was able to get extremely close for some good shots.


Columbia River close-up

 

The it was back across Hardy Ridge.  Much of the morning's snow and ice was rapidly melting in the midday sun so the going was much easier.  At the final viewpoint, I stopped to capture a few images of the Columbia River before making my way down.


Fern-filled forest on the way down

Being a fan of loop hikes, I always descend Hardy Ridge on a different trail.  Zig-zagging through the forest for a half mile or so, it finally comes out on another abandoned road.



Hardy Bridge Trail


To add a bit more mileage and because it's a nice forest walk, I took a detour on the Hardy Bridge Trail.  The forest here was thick with moss and quite scenic.  And the hiker bridge spanning Hardy Creek is a beautiful sight.


Bridge over Hardy Creek

Then it was a matter of following more abandoned roads, some which intersect with the Hamilton Mountain route, back to the parking area.  It was here I saw the most people of the day, mostly Hamilton Mountain hikers.


Hardy Creek

 

Being solo on the trail allows ample time for contemplation.  Knowing I needed to set goals for 2021, I began to plot my hiking challenges for the coming year.  One of the bright ideas that popped into my head that day was making a goal of hiking Hardy Ridge once each month during 2021.  So now that I've completed January's edition, it will be interesting to see how it compares to my experiences as I tackle this trail each of the next 11 months.


12 comments:

  1. Neat idea to hike the ridge in every month. I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scenery is wonderful and I am glad you are getting out hiking again this year Linda. Hope you are well, stay safe and have a great week ahead,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda,
    The Hardy Ridge trail has fabulous views of Mt Hood and the Columbia River. I love seeing the ferns and moss, the forest and the bridge and creek are all beautiful sights. You got a wonderful selfie too! Great collection of photos! Take care, wishing you a happy day and a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing quite like the beauty of the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...gorgeous, I love the clouds hanging on the peaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful hike! Love your pictures at all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And I like the idea of hiking that trail monthly to capture it in every stage of its glory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those shots of Hood from Phlox are great! Phlox Point was always one of my favorite hikes when we lived in Portland. I'm guessing those are ravens - not crows - just like the ones that used to peck the rubber parts off cars at the Wahkeena Falls trailhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new goal. I imagine the trail will be constantly changing.
    How wonderful it is on this visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes the photos should be great to compare from one month to another! Like your selfie!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.