Monday, March 25, 2019

Always Bring the Snowshoes!

Since our first snowshoe outing had been so successful, I suggested to my hubby we try another.  The last weekend of January clear, warm weather was predicted for the mountain.  Perfect conditions to explore Mt Hood's White River Canyon.


Mt Hood from White River Sno-park

A super-popular area for snowplay of all kinds, the White River Sno-park attracts crowds on sunny winter weekends.  To get a head start, I insisted on arriving early.  Worked like a charm - we had the place nearly to ourselves at 8:00 on a Sunday morning.


Heading off on the trail

Recent warm weather had refrozen and thawed the snow several times, creating an icy crust.  As hubby and I stood at the traihead, preparing to don snowshoes, we noticed the snowy trail was so packed down snowshoes really weren't necessary.  I considered strapping them onto my backpack, but couldn't figure out a good way to attach them.  My hubby declared he didn't want to carry his snowshoes and decided to put them back in the car.  He offered to drop mine off while he was at it, and, against my better judgement, I handed them over.


Lone snowman

I did, however, hang onto my microspikes, and these boot traction devices came in handy navigating the slippery, icy trail.  Snowshoes stowed, my hubby and I started out following the wide, packed-down path that served as our trail.  Views of Mt Hood were magnificent from the beginning, the white-cloaked mountain rising regally above the White River's snowy banks.


Making friends with the snowman

My goal for the day was to follow the user trail about a mile as it wound along the White River, and through a forested area to Boy Scout Ridge.  I'd hoped to climb this local feature, and continue along it's ridgeline for more fabulous mountain views.


Boy Scout Ridge

With the sun's intense solar energy beating down, temps heated up fast.  It didn't take long before hubby and I were shedding layers.  We walked past a popular sledding hill, climbing up it, and continued on through the woods.  Evidence of past snowplay showed itself in several places, but my favorite was a lone snowman sitting beside a steep dropoff, with branches for arms and hair.


Stunning viewpoint

By the time we reached the base of Boy Scout Ridge, the snow was softening up rapidly.  What had once been an icy crust was now the consistency of mashed potatoes.  Our feet started to break through, and hubby and I began to sink mid-shin into the snow.  Hmmm.....maybe leaving the snowshoes behind wasn't such a good idea.


Couples photo attempt

At Boy Scout Ridge's base, the forest opened up to an amazing viewpoint.  The White River valley, with Mt Hood towering over made for some great photo ops.  And Boy Scout Ridge, rising steeply in the other direction, looked mighty imposing. 


Following tracks in mushy snow

The ridge was also really, really steep.  With the snow conditions so soft and loose, I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle the climb up Boy Scout Ridge.  What if the snow started sliding? 


Our turn around point

Hubby and I took a break to rest, snack and think things over.  While we were taking a breather, we watched a woman and young boy attempt to climb Boy Scout Ridge.  Both had on snowshoes, and the boy actually made it all the way to the top.  We were amazed (I was sure he was gonna come sliding back down).  But it looked like hard work - and unlike the boy, we didn't have our snowshoes, which would make the climb even more difficult.


The White River winds through the snow

No, Boy Scout Ridge didn't look like it was in the cards for today.  Time for plan B.  I suggested to hubby we continue our trek following a lower ridge that led further into the canyon.  We saw another snowshoer and a couple of backcountry skiers heading that way, so why not?


Climbing up the riverbank

But.....the going wasn't easy.  Since most folks who visit White River only travel about a quarter mile from the parking area, tracks peter out quick.  The nicely packed trail we enjoyed at the beginning had dwindled down into a few scattered footprints in the snow.  And it was no longer crusty, icy snow that would hold our body weight.  Hubby and I postholed nearly every step, sometimes up to our knees.  It was a tough, slow slog.


Another view of the White River

After a quarter mile of frustratingly slow travel, my hubby cried uncle.  His boot insole had bunched up and was hurting his foot.  He stopped and tried to straighten it out, but by this point the insole was beyond repair.  I agreed it was time to turn around.  Without snowshoes to keep our bodies above this weak, slushy snowpack, neither one of us was having much fun.


Abandoned snow fort

Instead of retracing our steps through the forest, I suggested following the banks of the White River on our return trip.  I hoped it would make for easier footing.


River crossing

Well, the snow was just as soft and mushy along the river, but at least we were treated to more spectacular mountain views.  And we passed by more human-made snow creations, a crumbling snow fort and another cute snowman.


Another cute snowman

It was slow going, trudging through the snow, occasionally crossing the river's steep banks.  Although my hubby was in pain, he was a good sport about it all.  Finally, we glimpsed a huge crowd of people near the sledding hill.  The last quarter mile was an obstacle course winding through many large groups, sledders, dogs, and other folks enjoying the snow.


Huge crowd near the parking lot

A tough 4 miles post-holing through soft, sun-warmed snow.  And although I should've known better, I went ahead and left a vital piece of gear behind.  Never again!  The moral of this story - always carry your gear with you, because you never know when conditions will change.

Hike number 4 of 52 complete! 


18 comments:

  1. I am amazed you carried on as long as you did. Walking in those conditions must have been tough, tough, tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is good advise you are giving yourself at the end o this post The scenery is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...neat to see so many snow people, for the most part we can put our snowshoes away for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Whew! I loved the photos and the gorgeous scenery! I am glad I was along virtually, I could not handle walking in snow up to my knees. Enjoy your day, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No sympathy you had rucksacks so you should have strapped the snow shoes to them. Stunning scenery you saw though

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting wet can be a hazard waking through deep snow. I went through once and found a hole over my knees and filled a boot. Very uncomfortable for the rest of the day.we are llokng at snow Saturday with bulbs coming up shouting spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had a pound for every time I'd left behind a vital piece of equipment that I really should have taken. The sun and the snow make for wonderful scenery even if they don't make for great underfoot conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - White River Canyon seems like an appropriate name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've postholed WHILE CARRYING SNOWSHOES because I didn't feel like stopping to put them on. So, I get it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you made it as far as you did, and were able to get back successfully. You did get quite a few wonderful pictures, too. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned this lesson the hard way, too! Now, I know not to even try to go out if the snow warms too much - even with snowshoes, I begin to pot hole. At this time of the year, I must get up early and use the snowshoes while the trail is still frozen solid - the xskis are useless - dangerous on the ice and sticking if the snow warms. I do love the photos of your hike. Hope hubby's feet felt better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the contrasting blue of the sky against the pristine white of the snow. Not an entirely successful day for you, but wonderful sitting here in the armchair, with the views of Mt Hood and no exertion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful day...slogging through snow is a work out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! But that sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your husband reminds me of mine--they are never cold! Sorry I have had to catch up a bit--we have been very busy doing a lot of babysitting recently and my computer time has been limited.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.