Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Twin Lakes Showshoe

So I've got a new goal.  After seeing multiple posts about a "52 Hike Challenge" on various social media sites, I googled it and found a website dedicated to getting folks outdoors.  Participants committed to completing 52 hikes in a year's time frame.  But...in order to join, it appeared one needed to first lay out some cash.  Being the cheapskate that I am (why pay money for something I already do on a regular basis?), I decided to create my very own challenge for 2019.


Faded fancy trail sign

So on January 1st, 2019, Linda's "52 Hike Challenge" began.  The rules for my homemade "52 Hike Challenge" were simple:

1.  The hike had to be one mile minimum in length.
2.  The hike had to take place outdoors in a "woodsy" or "natural" area.
3.  Walking, backcountry skiing, or snowshoeing all counted.
4.  Photos or it didn't happen!


Snowy woods

Realizing that completing 52 hikes in a year's time meant that I needed to average one hike per week, I began plotting how to get the miles in.  No problem in spring/summer/fall months, but winter..... Then I decided to dust off my snowshoes.  Instead of hitting the ski resorts (which on Mt Hood are becoming extremely crowded most winter weekends) I'd explore some of my favorite trails in the off-season.


Mossy trees and trail sign

Which is why instead of visiting the ski slopes, I spent the first Saturday of January tromping around a snowy Mt Hood National Forest with my hubby.


Hubby by a PCT trail marker

My first hike of 2019 was a partial repeat of a trail I'd explored last June, the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) from Barlow Pass to Upper Twin Lake.  I'd seen a lot of recent snowshoeing trip reports from this area and decided to check things out for myself.


The snow's a wee bit deep!

I talked my hubby into joining me for this winter adventure.  Although we both own snowshoes, it had been a couple of years since our last outing.  So, upon arriving at the trailhead, it took a bit of time to get our gear together and remember how to strap snowshoes to our boots.  But we both eventually figured things out, and happily strode away from a huge faded trail sign marking the PCT access.


Upper Twin Lake and the tip of Mt Hood

It had been several days since the last snowfall, so the trail was a packed-down sheet of frozen snow and ice.  Although we could've navigated in just boots, the metal claws beneath our snowshoes provided welcome traction.


Frolicking on the lake

Despite the lack of new snow, the wintry forest was beautiful.  We laughed at a few trail signs, nearly buried in the deep snowpack.


Warming up some ramen noodle soup

After about three miles, we spotted an opening through the forest.  Sure enough, it was Upper Twin Lake.  Navigating the tromped-down path circling it's shoreline, I spotted Mt Hood's white tip peeping over the treetops.  Then I ventured a short distance onto the snowy lake's surface for a few "I was there" pics.  And no, I wasn't worried about falling through the ice (I followed a previous set of tracks, and didn't dare go beyond them!)


We capture the bird's attention

My hubby lugged our tiny backpacking stove to the lake, and got busy heating water for some ramen noodle soup.  While waiting for it to boil, we snacked on cheese and crackers and warmed our insides with thermoses of hot tea.


Super friendly Gray Jays


Then our woodsy picnic began to attract a few locals.



Begging birdie

A flock of gray jays had gathered in the trees above, eyeing our food.  Apparently very used to humans, when my hubby put a few crushed-up cracker crumbs on his palm, it didn't take long for then to take notice.  Several birds landed right on his hand, and weren't in the least bit shy about grabbing a snack.


We had fun luring the birds

It was the highlight of our day!  Hubby and I had a great time enticing the birds to land in our hands.  Oh, the photo ops!  (Too bad I didn't bring my zoom lens)


Watching us from the tree

Although our original plan was to hit both Upper and Lower Twin Lake in a wide loop, my hubby's boot insoles started causing him foot pain.  Wisely, we decided to turn around and retrace our steps back to Barlow Pass.  (Tip - When trying a new activity, expect gear issues, and be flexible when they happen)


We made lots of feathered friends!

Back through the beautiful winter forest we trudged.  Although I grabbed a few photos of the snow-coated tree branches, our return trek was mostly focused on getting my hubby back in one piece.  Once at the car, I've never seen someone so happy to remove his boots!  (Time to purchase new insoles)


Snow-covered trees

Despite minor gear issues, hubby and I survived our first snowshoe trip in good spirits.  I discovered snowshoeing uses different muscles than hiking or skiing as the next morning I was quite sore in new places!  But it was fun to try a different winter activity - hubby agreed there would be more snowshoe trips in our future.


First hike of 2019 was a rousing success!

Stats for my first hike of 2019 - 7.5 total miles and probably 700 feet elevation gain. 

One down, 51 to go!


(You may have noticed a new tab below my blog's banner photo.  I've created a "52 Hike Challenge - 2019" page to record each hike towards my goal.  So far I've been good about documenting each hike as it happens.  Since I'm always behind on posting, you can follow along here to see what I've been up to - and read a full recap in a month or so!) 


17 comments:

  1. ...neat challenge. In the New York there is The Adirondack 46ers: https://www.adirondack.net/hiking/challenges/46er/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you stay fit and healthy I'm sure you'll complete the challenge. Looking at the tab I see you're off to a good start already and I look forward to reading those accounts and seeing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ome after my own heart why pay to do something you like doing anyway. No doubt someone though it was a greatway to rip people off by paying to join in. That means you have to do at least one a week which in my case would be no problem as I don't work (retiremnt has it's benefits) Look forward to seeing more of the challenge
    Love those birds feeding on you hands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, cute photos of you and your hubby! I love the Gray Jay photos, it is cool they landed on your hands for the crumbs. Pretty scenery and a nice (snow-shoe) hike. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those birds! How fun! It's too bad about Roger's foot pain, but it looks like you had a great day on the trail anyhow. Knowing you, it will be a cinch to get in 52 hikes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good challenge. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your commitment to your challenge! That inspires me... I could do something similar, except for the rule about a woodsy or natural area. I wouldn't have time to escape the city that often. Never been snow shoeing, but looks like fun, and very impressed that you made 7.5 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the hot soup but would love to feed the jays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun challenge! Those Jays are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like fun. I could never commit to hiking every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant start to 'Lindas 52 hikes' and so wonderful to have hubby along even if his feet did play up. I loved the peep view of Mt Hood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hiking to frozen lakes. I've done several hikes this year. I bet I could get to 52, it depends on fire season though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I normally try and fit in a walk every weekend, sometimes two, and come the summer months, I often fit a walk in on my drive home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done you! I greatly admire your passion for hiking and will look on from abroad as your do these 52 hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love your version of the 52 Hike Challenge! Hopefully I can catch up with you:) LOVE the photos of you, your hubby and the gray jays--simply amazing!
    Peace,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah for 52 I am certain you will accomplish your goal! Wow those birds are friendly!! What fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll have to see how many I have already. If xc skiing counts, I've got a ton.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.