Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Montana Winter Sunrise

In late December, my hubby and I journeyed to Montana to visit our son for Christmas.  The western U.S. had been having an unseasonably mild and dry winter thus far, so there was no snow to be found.  I didn't even get to go skiing, since the ski areas that were open didn't have much snow.  However, the clear skies made for some fantastic sunrises and sunsets.  


Color beginning in the east


Too lazy to get out of bed early enough, I usually miss out on photographing the sunrise.  But here in Montana, the winter sun didn't crest the horizon until just after 8 am.  Always awake before 7, I told myself I needed to go out and capture some good sunrise images at least once while I was visiting.  No excuses!


Some pink in the opposite direction too


In daylight, my hubby and I scoped out a deserted campground area on the shores of nearby Canyon Ferry Lake.  It looked like a good, wide-open spot to capture the sky.


Streaks of pink

The following morning, I rose at the appointed time, bundled myself up in winter clothes, and headed out towards the prior day's sunrise spot of choice.


Icy shoreline

It was a bone-chilling 9 degrees F on the lakeshore.  Emerging from my car, it didn't take long for the warmth of the heater to wear off.  Shivering in the frigid pre-dawn, my fingers were already beginning to feel numb.  Hurry up sunrise!  


Sky colors reflected on the lake ice

I noticed the lake's water had partially frozen - only a small amount of open water remained in the middle.  The predawn sky colors began to reflect on the icy surface.


Fog rolling in


The sky was a lovely shade of pink.  Streaky clouds began to fill the eastern horizon.  A small fog bank clung to the opposite lakeshore.  Although cold, it was a breathtakingly beautiful morning.


Lovely pink reflections


The previous night's full moon still hung in the sky.  It's bright orb cut through the pink morning skies, illuminating nearby frosty hills.


Full moon in the pre-sunrise sky

When the sky colors began to fade, I hopped back into my car to warm up.  Although the sun was yet to rise, I'd seen enough already.  Blasting my car heater, I drove to a nearby coffee kiosk for a hot latte.  Success!  What lovely colors - such a beautiful morning sky!    

Maybe this will give me the incentive to get out of bed for sunrise when I'm back home?


11 comments:

  1. ...this was worth getting up early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous collection of beautiful skies and landscapes. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is dedication! And well worth the effort. Beautiful pictures, although I am surprised the lake was not completely frozen over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRRRRR! But lovely...I'm glad someone has the fortitude to capture such lovely scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you. Definitely worth the effort. Not sure I would have crawled out of a warm bed to brave the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sunrise photos are beautiful! I am such a morning person, it's easy for me to be out and about capturing sunrise shots. I googled to see where Canyon Ferry Lake is located. There is so much of Montana that I have not seen and each year I think about venturing to other areas there but it never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so lovely. That 3rd and last shots were just stunning. - I'm never up for a sunrise and certainly not on a cold day so I appreciate your tenacity in getting these beautiful shots to share. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you captured some real beauties here. Your dedication paid off!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely magical winter beauty, even if a tad cold!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.