Sunday, October 9, 2022

The Beauty of Mt. Rainier NP

I've been off on another trip, so blogging has taken a back seat for a couple weeks.  September and October have proven to be busy months thus far, with lots of things going on in my life.  Before running off again, I decided to quick throw together this photo-dump post lest my readers think I've totally abandoned my blog.


Mt. Rainier not long after sunrise


Last year I totally missed out on the high Cascades wildflower season.  Determined not to skip two years in a row, in late August I planned a last-minute trip to one of my favorite summer destinations, Mt. Rainier National Park.  Since the peak bloom here usually happens in early August, I hoped I wasn't too late.


A little pika storing food for winter


This National Park is wildly popular in late summer.  I'd heard that the parking lots at the Paradise Lodge area fill up by mid-morning.  For that reason I awoke way before the birds and drove the 3 1/2 hours to make sure I arrived by sunrise.  Not only did I desire good morning light and a better chance of seeing animals, I also wanted a parking space.


Magenta paintbrush

Although rising so early and driving in the dark wasn't much fun, all was forgiven as I started up the park road to Paradise and caught the morning sun illuminating Mt. Rainier beautifully.  Finally arriving at the lodge, I was delighted to have my choice of parking spots!


Lovely lupine field


Donning hiking boots, backpack and camera gear, it was time to get to work.  I started out as I always do when visiting here, taking the Skyline trail counter-clockwise.


Mountain close-up

I could tell that the showy summer blooms were on their way out.  But I still found enough floral goodness in the first half mile to get some decent shots.  And the mountain was putting on a nice show as well.


This drainage area was full of wildflowers


Passing by a talus slope known for its pika population, I sat and waited for some "meeps" from these cute little rock-rabbits.  It didn't take long before I heard one vocalize, and I was lucky enough to capture it peeking out from a rock, it's mouth full of food for the winter.
 

Pink monkeyflowers brightened the landscape

Taking a short side jaunt down the Lakes Trail, I came upon a meadow full of purple lupine blooms.  With the mountain as a backdrop it made for some stellar images.  After several clicks of the camera, it was back to the Skyline Trail to see what else I could find.


Another view of this amazing bloom

The Skyline Trail climbed higher until I came upon a plateau.  Then, it wound downhill to a glacial stream crossing.  Here's where I found more flowers.  Rows and rows of bright pink monkeyflowers lined the braided channels.  Oh my goodness, it was lovely!  More photos may have been taken.....


Mama marmot and baby


After a prolonged photo session along the stream, I climbed back uphill through heather fields.  In these fields is where I spotted my first marmot.  Marmot sightings as quite common here, as these squeaky, fluffy woodchucks make their home on Mt. Rainier's flanks.  Even better, the marmot I saw had a cute baby beside her.


Marmot eyeing a yummy wildflower


Quickly changing camera lenses, I tried to get a few shots of the mother and child before they trotted away.  But they didn't seem interested in being my subjects, so I only got a few good images.


This chipmunk posed nicely for me

However, a nearby chipmunk had no problems posing on a rock for as long as I wanted.


Pink heather blooms


Beyond the critter sightings, the trail climbed, often steeply.  By now my left foot, still recovering from plantar fasciitis, was beginning to throb.  Realizing that the entire Skyline Trail circuit wouldn't be possible today, I downgraded my goals and decided to bail via the Golden Gate Trail.


A nice patch of magenta paintbrush


Although I knew the Golden Gate Trail wasn't far from my current position, it sure seemed to take awhile to reach the junction.  I suppose the uphill climb, warm weather, and angry foot didn't help any.


The butterflies were enjoying the flowers


But finally I reached the Golden Gate Trail.  Yay, blessed downhill from this point on!  I passed by a huge field of asters past full bloom and enjoyed a fun few minutes trying to photograph some butterflies landing on the wilted petals.


Well, hello there!

And then about halfway down, I came upon another marmot sighting.  This furry fellow was a bit more friendly and didn't seem to mind a camera-toting human following along.


Caught this guy in mid-chew


The marmot waddled over to a nearby wildflower patch and began inhaling all the blooms.  It was fun to watch him eat, but sad to see the marmot chewing up all the pretty flowers.  But better eaten by marmots than trampled by humans I guess.


Western Pasque flower seed heads

Wandering further downhill I came upon another marmot duo perched on a large rock.  Having a landscape lens on my camera at the time, I almost didn't change lenses.  But a man joined me in our marmot watch and convinced me to make the switch.  I'm glad I did!  If not, I wouldn't have caught this tender nose touch between the two.


Marmot kiss


By the time I intersected back with the Skyline Trail, it was nearly noon and the place was buzzing with people.  After enjoying near solitude for much of my trek, it was a rude interruption.  At that point, all I wanted to do was hightail it back to my car.  


Classic view of Myrtle Falls and Mt. Rainier

However, I did make one pit stop to check out the classic view of Myrtle Falls with Mt. Rainier as a backdrop.  And this time I caught the falls in nearly full light, instead of shadows like usual.  Midday light is good for something!


Tipsoo Lake in late afternoon


The lodge area and parking lot were swarming with people.  It was hot, kids were screaming, and I was ready to get the heck out of dodge!  I sat on a nearby bench, eating my sandwich, until a bus of elderly people unloaded right next to me.  As the old folks began circling, eyeing my perch, I decided to finish my lunch elsewhere.


Tipsoo Lake


Stevens Canyon Road, which connects the east and west sides of the park. was closed for construction, so I ended up driving the long way through Packwood to reach Tipsoo Lake.  But I was again rewarded for my persistence, with some lovely flower fields surrounding the lake.


View from Upper Tipsoo Lake

I ended up sleeping in my car at the Sunrise lodge area and awoke the next morning to a glorious sunrise over Mt. Rainier.  But the previous day's hiking had done my foot in, and I could only manage a mere 4 miles before turning around and heading back to my car.  


Sunrise on Mt. Rainier

Still, at least I'd gotten a visit to Mt. Rainier National Park.  Although it was fast and furious, I'm so glad I made the time.  I came away with dozens of great images and enjoyed myself immensely. 

Mt. Rainier, thanks for the memories!  I'll see ya again next August!  




13 comments:

  1. I really like the mountain meadows and all the flowers. What many people don't know is that there is a tremendous amount of bird life in the meadows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos as always Linda! You are so fortunate to live so close to amazing places such as this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...you captured the beauty of this gorgeous area, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your were able to do this hike and see the wildflowers before they disappeared, Linda! They are so spectacular there. The marmots were fun to see --they are usually so reclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! And such gorgeous views. The image of the marmot kiss is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures! And sounds like a great hike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvelous scenery! The little critters are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are wonderful! Though everything was worth a second and third look, the butterflies on the asters really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This day was well worth the early start and painful foot, surrounded by so much magical natural beauty! I so wish it were on my doorstep but so grateful I got to share that day with you at Mt St Helens. It helps me soak up this beauty even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful place! I have been searching for companies that do guided hiking at Mount Rainier National Park and also at Olympic National Park. I have hiked in many of the US National Parks but not in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures! The photos of chipmunks and marmots are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Magenta Paintbrush is just beautiful! You captured so many wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing the awesome photos, and I hope your foot is better now!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.