Sunday, July 26, 2020

Eightmile Creek Loop

With the local favorite trails even busier than normal, this spring I began to seek out lesser-known places to hike.  Of course, less popular often translates to "longer drive."  That's where I found myself on the last day of May, in my car enduring a 2-hour journey to the latest "new to me" trail on my list - the Eightmile Creek Loop.


Purple flowers ready to open

East of Mt Hood, off of Forest Service Road 44, lies an entire network of trails.  Often overlooked for the spectacular mountain vistas around Mt Hood, some of these trails see more mountain bike traffic than hikers.  Such was the case of Eightmile Creek, but I'd done my research in advance, so knew what to expect.  I'd also read that this area was known for nice spring wildflowers.  The promise of prolific wildflower displays was what drew me here today.


Barren trees

After Forest Service Road 44, I navigated a couple of dusty gravel roads (with one backtracking episode after taking a wrong turn).  Searching the for the Bottle Prairie Trailhead, I totally missed the unsigned turn-off and ended up down the road at Eightmile Campground instead.  Although I could've driven back to my trailhead of choice, I opted to park at the campground and start my hike here.  (The fully-stocked-with-tp trailhead restroom sealed the deal!)


Lupine leaves

At the parking area was a trailhead sign, but it failed to mention which trail.  As I pondered if this was the Eightmile Creek trail, a friendly campground host drove by and confirmed my hunch.  He also informed me that the trail was heavily used by mountain bikers, and they were especially fast down the steep decline from Fivemile Butte.


Vanilla leaf

Although I'd initially wanted to climb steep Fivemile Butte first to see the fire lookout tower, the campground host's words made me change course.  Since this hike was a loop, why not start in the opposite direction and save the steep descent for last?  I'd avoid being plowed by mountain bikes, and it eliminated a steep climb right off the bat. 


Purple anemone

Starting my climb on the lower trail, I was immediately passed by large group of mountain bikers (all giving me very polite "thank yous" for stepping off the trail).  But after that, I had the path to myself for nearly a mile and a half.


Bridge over Eightmile Creek

Being in the mountain's rainshadow, the forests on the east side of Mt Hood consisted of more dry-region Ponderosa pine, hemlock and Western Red Cedar.  Many of the trees lacked needles, their bare branches sticking out like skeleton arms (I'm not sure why).  After crossing Eightmile creek on a wooden bridge, I  climbed steeply until the creek disappeared into a small valley far below the trail.


White anemone

But - oh the flowers!  There were tons of white and purple anemones, vanilla leaf, some lupine, larkspur and yellow violets.  Lots of lens candy.


Lots of downed trees!

Nearing the intersection with Bottle Prairie Trailhead (my intended starting point) I came upon an area with a huge amount of downed trees.  Fallen logs littered the forest floor.  Not sure what happened here, but it looked as though they had been there for some time.


Violet

As I bent down to capture a patch of especially vibrant yellow violets, I was startled by a mountain biker bearing down the trail.  I yelped and quickly jumped out of the way, however, the biker had already slowed down.  I think we both surprised each other.  (And the biker was very nice about our near miss).


Larkspur

The Bottle Prairie trailhead was packed with cars and vans, all sporting bike racks.  No hikers here!  Trying to figure out how I missed this parking area, I realized there wasn't a sign on the main road.  No wonder I'd driven right by.


Lupine

Now for the second part of my journey.  I hiked slightly uphill through a meadow packed with lovely purple larkspur.  Again I was almost run over by a mountain biker while knelt down for a photo (who was very polite and apologetic).  This one was my fault - because I was kneeling the biker didn't see me.  Lesson learned - step off the trail before taking pictures!


Scraggly balsamroot

Then I lapped a friendly family, the first hikers I'd seen all day.  I continued my climb through forests, with occasional flowers brightening the trailside.


Wide open views

A mile later, the forest cleared and I was treated to some great panoramic views of the adjacent woods and foothills.  Lupine and basalmroot blooms graced these open, grassy slopes.  Having missed the big Gorge flower blooms this spring, due to trails being closed for COVID, it was great to see some of my favorite early season wildflowers.



Fivemile Butte lookout tower

I came to an unsigned junction.  According to my gps mileage, the Fivemile Butte Lookout tower was nearby.  This had to be the side trail.  Following the path through thick manzanita bushes, I glimpsed the tower cab through the trees.


Great lunch spot

I love hiking to fire lookout towers.  There's always great views to be had, and the lookout structures themselves are interesting.  This tower had a McGyver-ed basket on a hoist to haul supplies up to the cab.  Although normally rented out for overnight stays, due to the pandemic, the lookout tower was currently closed.  Even the stairs to the top were barricaded.


My lunchtime view

I moseyed around the grounds, past a restroom building until coming upon a huge viewpoint.  A few logs had been placed here, clearly a designated break spot.  Perfect for me, it was high time for lunch!


Another view of the lookout

Although expecting the family I'd passed to arrive soon, I had the fire tower area to myself the entire time.  It wasn't until I was packing up my lunch that the family emerged from the woods.


Basket for hauling supplies up to the tower

So I snapped a few more photos of this historic lookout tower, and was on my way.


On the National Historic Register!



Nice sign with all the stats

After climbing most of the day, it was time for some sweet downhill!  I contoured around the top of Fivemile Butte, taking in more wildflowers and views before the trail began its steep descent.


Stonecrop ready to bloom

I met a few more mountain bikers, some very slowly grinding their way to the top, but others zipping back downhill.  The most stressful part of the hike, I was constantly on guard, listening for descending bikers.


Sunny balsamroot flower

And although all of the mountain bikers I met were very polite, slowing down as they passed me, and thanking me for stepping off the trail, I didn't care much for sharing the trail with them.  I was always worried I wouldn't hear a biker and get hit before I could get out of the way.


More lupine

So my descent was quicker than I would've normally hiked.  There were tons of pretty purple-blue Jacob's Ladder flowers lining the trail, but I only stopped a couple times for photographs.


Indian Paintbrush joins the party

The forest was interesting too.  It appeared this area had been logged at one time - there were tons of small trees growing across Fivemile Butte's steep slopes.


Views on the trail down

Returning to my car, the empty parking area was now full of vehicles, mostly vans with bike racks. Good thing I'd started my hike early!


Jacobs Ladder flowers (I think)

Although my starting point wasn't where I'd initially planned, I was happy with the route I ended up taking.  It was good to get the climbing out of the way first, and visiting the lookout tower later made for a good lunch spot.  Something to look forward to near the end of the hike. 

Another new trail with lovely spring wildflowers, I'll have to return again for fall colors (Rumor has it they are good in this area).  But next time I think I'll pick a weekday to avoid the mountain biking crowd.

7.5 miles, 1400 feet elevation gain.

9 comments:

  1. ...quite a walk through Mother Nature's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured a lot of beauty along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely views! I think I'd avoid mountain bike trails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Another beautiful hike. The wildflowers are definitely eye candy, lovely flowers and photos. The views are fabulous. Enjoy your day! Wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wildflowers your photographed are all so exquisite! The views were so far reaching and green. I wonder what happened to those downed trees? It did not look like an avalanche area?
    Our community trails are also filled with both bike riders and horse riders. eE have signs that tell us bikers have to yield to hikers and hikers have to yield to horses. It never seems to happen that way however, as hikers seem to have to yield to all. I'm always worried about rattlesnakes being alongside a trail, so it can be stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful day on the trail! Those yellow violets are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos...the Wildflowers are so pretty. The last photo looks like Jacobs Ladder...there is also a white variety and a paler lilac color:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wildflower photography is quite brilliant. Another fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you able to get out and enjoy at least some of the wildflower blooms. A night spent in that lookout tower would be fantatstic

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.