Saturday, July 18, 2020

Comet Chasing

I'd heard little bits and pieces about the Comet NEOWISE on the news, but didn't pay much attention until my Facebook feed starting showing fabulous photos of the comet taken by local photographers.  Then my neighbor Cheri asked me if I was interested in joining her for an evening photography session.  Although I'd never before tried capturing the night sky, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

Comet NEOWISE

Cheri had recently joined a local photography club.  A group of women from her club planned an outing to capture the comet.  Weather conditions (clear skies) were predicted for last Wednesday night, so we all met in nearby Hood River and caravaned out to a remote road near the town of Dufur next to an old, abandoned schoolhouse.


Center Ridge Schoolhouse

I discovered the Center Ridge Schoolhouse, a local photography landmark, was a great subject, especially bathed in soft evening light.


Wheat fields and Mt Hood

The schoolhouse was surrounded by golden wheat fields.  Two Cascade peaks - Mt Hood and Adams, lined the horizon.  What a great place for landscape photography!


Sunburst behind the schoolhouse

Seven ladies gathered on the gravel road opposite the schoolhouse, set up tripods, and waited for the sun to drop.


Sunburst from a schoolhouse window

Being the rank amateur of the group, I paid close attention to what the other women were photographing.  When the sun sank behind the school, I noticed everyone shooting pics of the building.  Then I noticed the sun's setting rays shining through a window.  Aha - sunburst images!


Sun's last rays

It was a beautiful sunset.  The sky glowed orange and pink.


Wonderful light on the prairie

Last light illuminated the prairies and wheat fields.


Mt Adams and a tangerine sky

The sky behind Mt Adams was a lovely shade of orange (tangerine skies! Isn't that a song?)


Wonderful sunset colors

With darkness fast approaching, my companions and I eagerly scanned the sky for signs of NEOWISE.


The comment appeared shortly after 10 pm

And then around 10:00 someone spotted it below the Big Dipper in the Northwest sky.  At first the comet was merely a pinprick of light, but as the sky grew darker, it became brighter.


The stars began to shine brighter

I am forever indebted to the photography club ladies who gave me many good tips on how to properly capture a night sky.  One lady showed me how to use "mirror lockup," another told me to get a good focus on the schoolhouse before it got dark (great advice!), and others gave suggestions on shutter speeds, ISO, and apertures.  Thanks to their help, I'm happy to report my first attempt at night photography was successful.  I came away with many images I liked.


Star-filled sky

Time seemed to pass so quickly.  I was in total awe of not only the comet, but also the star-filled night sky.  Far away from city light pollution, it was filled with millions of twinkling stars.  I even saw the Milky Way.  I thought about trying to capture that too, but didn't want to lose my focus on the schoolhouse or change lenses.


"Light painting" the schoolhouse

For the grand finale one of the women shined a flashlight on the schoolhouse while the rest of us opened our shutters.  Known as "light painting" the brief burst of light illuminated the building against the dark sky.  I really liked the result.

Since Comet NEOWISE only comes around once in 6,800 years I was glad to have taken the opportunity to not only observe but photograph its journey across the night sky.  An absolutely amazing experience!  Totally worth the late bedtime. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, Linda! Such a spectacular sight to see, and it was nice for you to have the help and support of others to take the perfect night time photographs of the comet.
    I have also been seeing so many photos of Neowise in photography groups on facebook -- what a thrilling celestial event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some fabulous photos there. Useful to have those tips from the experienced astro-photographers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have got such wonderful photos of the old school house and the comet. I think I need a photography course as I really don't understand the shutter speeds etc. Thank you for sharing your photos, they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,

    Beautiful captures of the Comet and night sky! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting for your pictures, so I didn't have to stay up too late! ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images. I also went out a few days ago to capture this sight. It was my first attempt at night photography but was pleased with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandson (17) went to the top of Loveland Pass to photograph Neowise. He got some amazing shots too with the mountain as backdrop. He's really into night photography. I'm learning new things from him and from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may be 'amateur' but I am totally impressed. Wonderful, wonderful photos both of the sunset and comet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great image! For your first night sky outing, it's spectacular! Glad you got such good advice from the other ladies to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! What a pretty place to go and wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been way too lazy to stay up to see it. But with great photos like yours, I can continue to be lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning. I really wish I'd remembered and taken the time to head out and at least see the comet now.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.