Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Paradise Park and Split Rock

So begins the September frenzy - the race to get in as many high elevation hikes as possible before the fall rains begin.  One of my favorite autumn trails is the loop from Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park, which I try to complete every year.


Timberline Lodge

One sunny, but mild (aka "finally not blazing hot") Friday I decided to check out this classic Mt Hood hike.  Although the amazing wildflower meadows were long gone, I was hoping for an early dose of fall color.


Colorful valley

The mountain answered in a big way!  After a fairly uneventful trek starting at Timberline Lodge, across barren ski slopes, and through both Little Zizag and Zigzag Canyons, I began my climb into Paradise Park.  I came upon the most stunning little valley, it's sides covered in patches of orange, red, and yellow.  It looked as though Mother Nature had swiped a paintbrush across the landscape.


Bright red berries

Some of the bushes were laden with clumps of bright red berries.  Not sure what type they were, but I certainly wasn't tempted to eat them!


Meadow at Paradise Park

I took a short break at what's normally a fantastic wildflower meadow at the Paradise Park trail junction.  However today the flowers were long gone - all withered away, replaced with golden hues of drying grasses.  At least Mt Hood put on a good show.


Trail junction

I did manage to spot a small patch of straggler asters.  Probably the last of the summer wildflowers.


Last of the summer wildflowers

 And a few Western Pasqueflowers (aka "hippy on a stick") occupied an adjacent meadow.


Still a few "hippies" hanging on

I wandered through a ravine with a tiny stream flowing through, it's sides beautiful shades of green and gold.


Golden ravine

And then climbed into another technicolor meadow bursting with more of those red berry bushes.


Blast of fall colors

Now high above treeline, the surrounding landscape was dominated by gray glacial soil and rocks.  However, one ridge sporting vivid fall hues really stood out amongst the moonscape.


Vivid ridge amongst mountain gray

I'd heard reports of a large boulder cracked in two pieces that was a popular landmark.  Nicknamed "Split Rock" I'd unknowingly walked by it on previous hiking trips.  Today I was determined not miss it again.


Split Rock in the distance

Looping across Mt Hood's barren glacial plain, I spotted the rock before coming upon the faint user trail that accessed it.  It was definitely a dominant feature - how had I not noticed this before?


The famous boulder

So I trekked slightly uphill to Split Rock's base.  The views from here were mighty fine.  Mt Hood dominated the skyline. 


Mt St Helens view from Split Rock

 I even spotted a distant view of Mt St Helens from one side of the rock.


Plaques set into the rock

Someone had stuck two metal plaques on the side of Split Rock.  Both commemorated two men that appeared to have contributed to recreational opportunities on Mt Hood.


More technicolor vegetation

After paying my respects to Split Rock, I continued downhill heading towards a junction back with the Timberline Trail. 


Like someone took a paintbrush to the meadow

The meadows here had some of the best colors of the day.  Bright crimson huckleberry leaves, golden hues of dried grasses and more vibrant orange leaves.  I hadn't expected such amazing fall colors so early in September.


Huckleberry bushes

Finally I again connected with the Timberline Trail, my return route.  Although it wasn't near as colorful as the high meadows, a few splashes of color lined the path and brightened an otherwise gray landscape.


Spots of color brighten the Timberline Trail

The Timberline Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail intersect for a few miles in this area, and as I was passing back through Zigzag Canyon, I noticed someone had created a "2100" out of rocks.  I'm assuming it was mileage already covered if you were northbound....maybe?


PCT trail mileage?

Although I love the Paradise Loop, it's only drawback is the final two miles are uphill.  Not a great way to finish a 13-mile day.  However, I did get another nice display of autumn finery, which helped buoy my spirits a bit.


Another lovely fall scene

And an unexpected "peek-a-boo" view of Mt Hood from the base of a rocky ravine made for a nice photo op.


Mt Hood peek-a-boo

Finally Timberline's ski lifts came back into view, and I knew the parking lot wasn't far.  The gray slopes surrounding the chairlifts looked sad.  Time for a coat of fresh snow!


Idle ski lifts waiting for snow

I ended the day with 13 miles and 2300 vertical of climbing under my belt.  And a camera full of amazing fall scenery high on Mt Hood.


16 comments:

  1. So much color you have across both Summer and Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, love the beautiful fall colors. The views are gorgeous, wonderful hike and awesome photos. Enjoy your day. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...GORGEOUS! It's nice to know that there are still some fellow hippies out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belas fotografias e aproveito para desejar à minha amiga e sua família um Santo e Feliz Natal. 🎄

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful.
    Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous fall trek! 13 miles is a big day, thank goodness for the spots of color to take your mind off the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the hippie flower looks a lot like Prairie Smoke Geum triflorum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your right about amazing colours on your walk. Reading them always knocks me out at the beautiful places you get to visit. Merry Christmas & happy New year. Hope you have a nice one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such stunning colour to find so close to the barren lunar landscape. I enjoyed the whole trek from the comfort of my armchair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did that route as a run once, it makes me want to go back and see more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful in a seasons! 13 miles is quite a day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing day out for you with amazing photos! Merry Christmas, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful place! and thank you for sharing - it makes me want to head west!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas Linda! It's meant a lot over the past year. Since I can't get out on the trail anymore, I'll count on blogs like yours for my trail scenery. Keep those posts coming. Spectacular colours in this one.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.