Monday, November 9, 2015

Lassen National Park

In mid September, I embarked on a solo adventure.  I packed my car and headed south to Lassen Volcanic National Park.


Obligatory entrance sign selfie

A national park I'd wanted to visit for a long time, I finally decided this was the year, set a date and went.  My hubby didn't have enough vacation time, so I decided to go anyway - by myself. 


Marker #14 - the only place I could get cell service

Lassen is located in northern California, due east of the town of Redding.  It took a good 8 hours of driving until I finally pulled into the NW entrance, near Manzanita Lake.  Exhausted from an early start and long drive, I chose a site in the nearby spacious campground and set up my tent.


Manzanita Lake

But not quite ready to call it a day, I decided to check out this place I'd traveled so far to see.  First stop, find an area with cell reception to send my hubby a "made it safely" message.  After talking to a ranger at the entrance booth, I discovered the only place in the entire park with Verizon service was near "Marker 14" along the park road.  Luckily, it wasn't far from the campground, and yes, I did have service!


Lassen Peak

Then, I decided to stretch my legs with a hike around nearby Manzanita Lake.


Mountain reflections in Manzanita Lake

By then it was early evening, and the low-angle sunlight illuminated the lake's surface a lovely shade of blue.  Rounding the lake's western end, I was treated to picture-perfect reflections of Lassen Peak on it's still surface.


Crescent Crater

Everyone thinks Mt. St. Helens was the only volcano to erupt in the continental United States.  But Lassen Peak blew it's top one hundred years ago.  And until MSH came to life, Lassen had the distinction of being the only active volcano in the lower 48.


Lassen Peak wearing a dusting of snow

The west coast had suffered a bout of cold, wet weather earlier in the week.  However the day of my arrival I was greeted with nothing but sunshine.  An added bonus - the previous bad weather had capped Lassen Peak with a dusting of snow.


Perfect reflection!

I kept heading counterclockwise around Manzanita Lake, searching for the perfect photography spot.  The scenery and mountain views were outstanding, evening light illuminating nearby peaks perfectly.


Fall colors just beginning

Finally, the light beginning to fade, I retraced my steps to my favorite vantage point.  Lassen's reflection was nothing short of perfect here, accented by fall colors just beginning to turn.


One more reflection (just because!)

A final look at the mountain I was planning to climb tomorrow.


Friendly deer

Then, with the light fading fast, I made my way back to the campground.  En route, I got up close and personal with some of the park's permanent residents.


Deer at sunset

Yeah, the deer seemed very used to seeing people.  Worked well for this photographer!


Last evening light

I collapsed in my tent and slept soundly.  A good night's rest was necessary as the following day I planned to climb Lassen Peak.  Check back, my next post I'll tell you all about it!


Sharing with:  Through My Lens and Our World Tuesday. and Weekend Reflections

39 comments:

  1. Superb pictures.Virtual trip indeed.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful reflections you captured with your lens at Manzanita Lake! The sweet t deer at the end was the icing on the cake, Linda. Nice hike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda this wa a a wonderful trip. the scenry is spectacular and breath takingly beautiful. The reflections in the water are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful and photogenic place. I enjoyed your wander.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous lake--that blue is wonderful! Love your deer encounter:)
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paisagens fantásticas.
    Belas fotografias.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exquisitely beautiful captures... of an area dear to my heart (it was one of my mom's favorite places. I lost her at a very young age.)
    Wonderful post, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mountain reflections in the lake are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here you go again! I am beginning to think you never stay home! I will be back to check out your trek to Lassen Peak.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda, this post brought back memories of our trip many years ago. Your photos are gorgeous. I love the reflections of Mt Lassen and the pretty lake. The deer is sweet and the last shot of the sunlight in the trees is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your trip. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos, Linda. I can't wait to hear about your climb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done - I especially like the nice reflections

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful reflection shots! I can't wait to read about your big hike!

    We stayed near Lake Almanor when we visited the area and poor Verizon signal as well. It sure is a pretty area though. We really enjoyed a loop hike at Devil's Kitchen/Boiling Springs Lake...it is accessed via a back (east) entrance to Lassen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! Looks like you found a photographer's paradise!! Every one of these images are stunning!!! I'm glad you ventured out on your own to enjoy this beautiful area. Be safe and keep shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pictures capture our park perfectly, and good for you for making the journey solo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy you really have gotten around this year! Pretty reflections on Lake Manzanita.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those reflections are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had great fun with Mt Lassen's reflection, Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been to Lassen Peak, but your photos are a good substitute until my next trip to CA. Thanks for the post, especially the reflections... my current passion!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous park, Linda, and the deer is adorable! Your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh!! The posts I've been waiting for! :) Lassen was my first solo trip, it's cool you did this one solo too.

    I've still got one more from my trip to Oregon, but can't seem to put the words together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow what a beautiful landscape with breathtaking panorama,
    great photos
    greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful adventure. And beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a pretty place! You are brave to hike by yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Superb photos and an amazing place. Great mountain. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How adventurous getting out on your own! And what wonderful photos! Love the volcanic mountain and the lake! And what lovely deer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful scenery! Makes me think of Yosemite Nat. Park, but no volcano there:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really loved Lassen...quiet...beautiful. Can't wait to see the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so admire you, Linda - tenting it on a solo adventure. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good for you for going solo! That part of the pot awaits me...looking forward to it. Perhaps this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  31. There are so many wonderful spots of nature in this country and you find them! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sharon told me I had to read this one first but now I have to go back and play catch up! Just gorgeous glad you are spreading the word that sisters are doing it for themselves and don't need to wait for hubby. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Truth be told I know nothing about Lassen Peak erupting. But in my defence, I wasn't around a century ago. :) Gosh, I can't imagine driving 8 hours solo. My max is a little more than half that - 5 hours. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful photos - I'm looking forward to reading about (and seeing) your climb!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow I find it awesome that you'd go on this trip and camp out by yourself (I'd be scared to do that). The views here are fantastic. The mountain is very cool looking and that lake is just dreamy. Loved your deer photos as well, they are such gentle looking creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't know that I've heard of this area before. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a beautiful place! I love the reflections and the deer are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.