Saturday, September 28, 2024

The Green Heron Nest

 As I mentioned in a previous post earlier this summer, our local duck pond had a green heron couple build their nest in a tree right next to a very busy walking path.  Although the tree was partially suspended over the water, this nest was a mere 10 feet away from the path.  Of course, everyone using the park noticed and photographers began to stop by in hopes of photographing the babies.


Mama in her nest giving me the evil eye

Of course, I included myself in the group of hopeful photographers.  In late July, every time I visited the duck pond, I made sure to walk by the nest at least twice.  First all I could see was the mother green heron sitting inside, incubating eggs (we all surmised anyway.)  Mama GH wasn't too pleased with all the attention, giving me the stink-eye every time I pointed my lens her way.


Can you see the baby directly below it's mother?

Then one day near the end of July, I noticed something in the bottom of the nest.  A tiny eye surrounded by a bunch of downy fluff.  A chick!  The eggs had finally hatched!


The chicks are starting to grow

Word got out quick amongst the birding and photographic community, and soon the heron nest was getting lots of visitors.  At first we only got tiny glimpses of the babies, and no one was sure how many were in the nest.


A week later they are perching on adjacent branches


A week later while making the rounds at the duck pond, I found four green heron babies perching on tree limbs above the nest.  Those little guys were growing fast!


"Mom!  You're back!"

Although the mother was absent at first, within five minutes she returned to the nest.  All four babies rushed to her, hoping to be the first one fed.


"Feed me, mama, feed me!"

The fastest baby pestered his mother, opening up his mouth and stretching it towards mom.  After a few minutes, she gave in and quickly shoved her bill down the little guy's throat.  It all happened so fast and there were so many leaves in the way, I wasn't able to get a good photo.


Waiting for their mother to return

After feeding one of the youngsters, mama GH left again, probably in search of more food to feed her demanding chicks.  


This guy looked like he was burping

The four babies settled in on their branches, awaiting her return.  One little guy opened his mouth and I caught him on camera.  Looks like he's burping!


Siblings sparring

It didn't take long for the natives to get restless.  I observed two of the siblings begin sparring with their beaks.


Big yawn!

And I caught another little guy mid-yawn.  So stinkin' cute!


Feeding time

A couple days later I visited again, and this time I caught an image of mama GH feeding one of her offspring.


The now-fledged green heron chicks hanging out near their nest

I got busy with hiking and other activities, and didn't return to the duck pond until mid-August.  I'd heard that all the green heron babies had fledged, but I walked by the nest one final time just to be sure.  Sadly, the rumor was true.  I found an empty nest with no green herons anywhere.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted.


Sly eye

A few steps beyond the old nest, something caught my eye in the bushes near water's edge.  I spotted a small dark lump sitting on a branch.  It was one of the juvenile green herons!  The little guy sat there for a long time, allowing me to photograph him.  Although his white, downy baby feathers were nearly gone, he still had a tiny bit of fluff on top of his head.  


Feathers are starting to turn greenish-blue

Another one of the green heron's nest-mates flew into a nearby branch.  The little guys were still hanging out close to home.  I watched them for several minutes, before wishing them good luck in life on their own.  That was the last time I saw them.

What a fun spring and summer I've had photographing the bird life at the local duck pond.  Seeing the green herons hatch and grow up were undoubtably the highlight of the season.  Maybe some of them will return next year?  I sure hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.