Thursday, August 8, 2024

Rhodie Season

Prepare yourself - I'm flooding this post with lots of pink!


Drippy rhododendron blooms


In early summer, the forests surrounding Oregon's northern Cascades erupt into a riot of pink flowers.  Wild rhododendrons thrive in these cool, mossy environments and it's always a treat to witness their blooms.  Affectionately nicknamed "rhodies" by the locals, these bright wildflowers almost seem out of place amongst the green vegetation. 


Sandy River

Every June I try to get in a hike somewhere rhodies are blooming.  One favorite rhodie-rich trek is the trail to Ramona Falls. 


Penstemon was blooming too

It had been several years since I'd visited this trail, so I planned a Monday morning in mid-June for my return trip.  My chosen day dawned with heavy clouds that threatened rain.  Although this might deter some hikers, for me I welcomed the lack of harsh sunlight.  As a photographer I know cloudy days not only produce even lighting, they can also make colors pop!


Raindrop-spangled flowers

Since I live in the Pacific NW, I'm quite used to hiking in the rain.  After checking the forecast, which predicted a good chance of precip, I prepared by bringing rain jacket, backpack cover, and a waterproof cover for my camera bag.  


Scary Sandy River crossing

The sky was lightly drizzling when I pulled into the trailhead parking area.  After already enduring several days of hot, dry weather this spring, it was most welcome.


The show began on the river's opposite bank


The trail started out meandering through a thick, mossy forest.  Rhodies grew profusely here, and it didn't take long for me to spot those familiar pink blooms.  Forward progress was delayed for bit as my camera came out again and again.


The trail was lined with pink!

The Ramona Falls trail is a relatively easy trek except for one thing - after about a mile, hikers must cross the raging Sandy River.  The Forest Service used to provide a seasonal bridge for hikers, but many years ago a freak flood wiped it out.  Sadly a hiker on the bridge at the time lost her life.  The bridge was never replaced, so now hikers wishing to reach Ramona Falls are forced to cross the river by whatever means they can.  Usually there is a log spanning the churning water that hikers can balance upon (or butt-slide if you're chicken like me) to get across.


Rhodies along the PCT


I was quite apprehensive about this river crossing.  Coming upon the mighty Sandy, I spotted the said log, suspended high above the river.  The water was churning mightily, making crossing this stream all the more intimidating.  There was no way I was gonna try to walk atop a log that was potentially wet and slippery.  So after ponding my options for a few minutes, I climbed atop and butt-slid across.  It wasn't pretty but I managed to get safely to the other side.


Peak bloom!

It's always a relief to get a river crossing done!  With that behind me for the meantime, I shifted my attention to the wildflowers.  Several patches of bright purple penstemon were blooming above the river bank, and their raindrop-spangled flowers were most photogenic.


Lotsa pink

A short path meandered through sandy soil before intersecting with the Pacific Crest and Ramona Falls Trails.  I took the PCT leg and immediately entered a rhododendron wonderland.


Peek-a-boo river views

This two mile stretch of the PCT was lined with rhododendron bushes, all in spectacular bloom.  And lucky for me, the rhodies were at peak!  The thick forest of mossy fir trees and misty weather added to the photo drama.  Every once and awhile the trees would part, giving glimpses of the Sandy River's barren, debris-lined channel.


Ramona Falls

It took a long time for me to cover the two miles between the river crossing and Ramona Falls.  The rhodie blooms were so impressive!  Their bright pinks practically glowed in the cloudy, wet weather.  Luckily, thus far the misty conditions were deterring most hikers, and I had the place nearly to myself.

 

Another view of the falls

Finally, the trail forked once again and a side path led me to magnificent Ramona Falls.  The waters of this 120-foot cascade stair-stepped down a rocky drop, looking much like a bridal train.  Again the cloudy, dark weather produced perfect light to photograph this beauty.  Usually a very busy area, I only encountered two groups the entire half hour I lingered here.


Ramona Creek Trail was like a fairyland

This hike offers a loop option, and I love taking a new trail on the return trip!  After basking in the glorious views of Ramona Falls, I packed up and ventured down the Ramona Creek Trail.  The forest here was a delight.  Full of all things green, it was a wonderland of ferns and moss.  Cute little Ramona Creek burbled through the middle of its mossy forest.


And more rhodies!


And of course there were more rhodies!  I discovered some of the biggest and brightest blooms along this trail.


Lovely Ramona Creek

After lightly misting most of the morning, it was here the sky decided to open up the faucets a bit more.  Although I tried to keep my camera in its bag, there were so many beautiful blooms I kept pulling it out again and again.  Soon not only did my camera get wet, so did the inside of its bag.  Although I tried to wipe it off every time before stowing, I couldn't get every drop.  After many repetitions residual dampness had begun to accumulate.  With so many beautiful rhodies yet to photograph I hated to stop.  However, although my camera was weather-sealed and could handle a small amount of moisture, I didn't want to risk damaging a very expensive device.  It pained me, but I finally had to pack it away for good.  


Droopy blooms

All day long I was dreading the recrossing of the Sandy River.  The angle the log was sitting would require an uphill butt-slide to get back across, and I wasn't thrilled about that at all.  However, upon reaching the river I observed a young couple beginning to cross.  Adjacent to the high log was a lower log at nearly water level that extended about halfway into the stream.  Both people shimmied across this lower log to its end.  There was a rock sticking into the flow on the other side, and the distance between the rock and log was short enough to jump across, which is what both people did.  That option looked much easier.  So I followed the same path that the young couple had taken.  And it was a piece of cake compared to sliding over a high log.  Now why hadn't I noticed this the first time?
  

Huge pink bush

No matter I was safely across the river once again.  I climbed up the opposite bank to finish the last mile.  Back through the rhodie bushes I traveled, resisting the urge to pull out my camera for yet more photos.  (I'd already captured quite enough for one day!)


Rainy, but wonderful

Oh what a glorious meander through rhododendron wonderland!  I came away with so many good images, it was hard to decide which ones to edit and post on social media.  I hope you've enjoyed my latest photo journey and didn't mind all the pink!


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures, Linda! Ramona Falls is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm glad you're willing to get wet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love all the pink! Damp, but an awesome day in a Rhodie Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Linda, you live in a wet, wild and wonderful part of the world. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.