Thursday, November 30, 2023

Fall Finery at Hoyt Arboretum

From late October until mid-November the trees around Portland and NW Oregon usually erupt in their finest fall colors.  This year was no exception.  Although for awhile the lack of turning leaves led me to believe we'd have a dud year, the first of November everything unexpectantly burst into their best and brightest hues.  I think we ended up having the most vibrant autumn I've seen in many years.


Mossy trunk and fall hues

While I took plenty of photos during the frenetic two week period when colors were at peak, I thought I'd first share some images from a morning walk in Portland's Hoyt Arboretum.


Roadside color

Just west of downtown Portland, Hoyt Arboretum is a unique place.  Located along a ridgetop in Washington Park, this 189 acre preserve features over 2,300 tree species from six different continents.  From forests of huge redwoods and to flowering dogwoods, 12 miles of hiking trails provide access to this biological treasure.


Colorful oak leaves

Although Hoyt Arboretum is lovely in any season, in my opinion fall is the absolute best time to visit.  Colorful leaves from the many diverse trees and shrubs provide a stunning backdrop.


Pretty red-orange leaves

In autumn, local photographers flock to the nearby Japanese Garden to capture images of a very colorful and iconic Japanese maple tree.  However, the morning I visited Hoyt Arboretum I saw only one other man with a camera.  And he was photographing the birds.


Lovely backlit leaves

I also passed by a couple of nice Japanese maple trees.  Maybe they weren't quite as stunning as The Tree at the Japanese Garden, but I also didn't have to wait in line to photograph them.


Japanese Maple tree without the crowds

This autumn walk through the Arboretum made me painfully aware of how little I know about trees.  I wish I was better at identifying the different species.  Something to work on for next year!


Yellow explosion

I admired a tree bursting with bright yellow leaves.


The ground was pretty as well

I enjoyed the leaf collection on the ground as well.


Nice place to sit and contemplate life

This park bench looked like a great place to sit and take in all the beauty.


More yellow beauty

I walked by another gigantic tree covered with more dazzling yellow leaves. 


Multi-colored eye candy

At one end of the Arboretum is a beautifully landscaped memorial to all the soldiers who died in the Vietnam War.  The tall trees surrounding this area were some of the loveliest - decked out in shades of orange, gold and yellow.


Stunning trees near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

A great place for a fall ramble, I thoroughly enjoyed my November morning at Hoyt Arboretum.  Hope you enjoy it too.


11 comments:

  1. ...gorgeous to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my it seems so long ago that I saw these shades here in Calgary! Your spring held on long. I love the Japanese Maple Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I've never been to Hoyt Arboretum in the fall, thanks for taking me there! If you ever find yourself in Ashland at that time of year, Lithia Park is stunning for leaf peeping. Just try to avoid weekends...the number of folks enjoying the beauty is just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great variety here . Some close ups. Some distant and then all the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty and beautiful. A colour feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this stunning autumn visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoyt looks like a wonderful place to visit no matter the season but fall sure provided color fireworks! Those old growth trees are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful trees! I wish that autumn lasted longer.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.