Friday, August 6, 2021

Cape Perpetua, Day One

Well I had planned to compose a much different blog post than what you're now seeing.  Last Monday I was about 3/4 done writing a large story about the trip in this title, when I hit a wrong key on my laptop and the entire thing disappeared.  Photos, captions, writing - poof - totally gone....

I was so upset by the loss of 3 hours of work that I just closed my computer and walked away, deciding I'd recreate the entire thing the next day.  Later that night I began to get extremely ill.  Without going into the details (you really don't want to know), I went back to urgent care once again the following morning.  After spending another extremely uncomfortable day and night tests finally diagnosed an infection in my lower GI tract - apparently an occasional side effect when completing a treatment of high-dose antibiotics.

So this has effectively delayed my return to Portland.  And I'm back on antibiotics - ugh - once again.  Today is the first day I've actually had energy to do something besides lay in bed.


Lots of waves and tidepools

So that's what's been happening in my world this week.  Fun times!  Oh well, on to my recreated blog post, 2nd time around..... 

Early last May I made a trip to one of my favorite places on the Oregon coast – the amazing Cape Perpetua.


Close up water action


A large, forested headland south of the charming town of Yachats, Cape Perpetua’s basalt cliffs tower 800 feet above the ocean.  The cliffs meet an unusually rocky shoreline where erosion has carved out several interesting features; Thor’s Well, Spouting Horn, and Devils Churn.  Visitors are treated to displays of amazing natural phenomenon – tidepools, spectacular crashing waves, unique rock formations, spouting horns shooting water high into the air, unusual flora and fauna, ancient old growth forests, and stunningly beautiful scenery.


Wild waves near Devils Churn

Naturally this area is a photographer's dream, with many images from this rugged coastline showing up in numerous photography websites and Facebook pages.  One of the most oft-photographed features is a round blowhole near the shoreline named "Thor's Well."


Huge wave rising from Thor's Well


During high tides waves not only crash the rocky shoreline adjacent to this blowhole, water also squeezes up through its opening, sometimes creating large, impressive splashes.  And if captured correctly, the rivulets of receding water flowing back down the sides of Thor's Well create some spectacular images.



Some brave (or foolish) photographers


To get the really amazing images requires a bit of daring.  Cape Perpetua parking area is located high on a the bluff overlooking the ocean.  A steep path leads down to water level, also providing a few safe viewpoints above the rocky shoreline shelf.  However, most photographers chose to walk out onto the slippery rocks and position themselves as close to the blowhole opening as possible.  See the above photo?  Those are the brave (or foolish, depending upon your point of view) photographers I captured from high above my safe perch.  Yes, I chose to set up on one of the high viewpoints.  Since I was by myself, there was no way I was risking my life going down there!


That's why I wasn't down there!


As you can see there's always the chance of a rogue wave sweeping some unfortunate soul out to sea (as matter of fact, a few mishaps do occur every year).  Luckily, nobody was harmed the night I was there.  After a half hour, one of the young men I'd been watching (and photographing) made his way up to where I was standing.  Both the man and his camera gear had been totally drenched with seawater.  The guy stuck up a conversation, saying he hoped he hadn't ruined his camera.  When I mentioned I'd captured a few images of him standing next to Thor's Well, the man gave me his email address and asked if I'd share them.


Lovely backlit waves


While waiting for the sun to set, the man and I struck up a great conversation about photography.  He was traveling north from California and had planned to hit up all the waterfalls he could in Oregon.  We traded Instagram accounts - he had some amazing images on his page.  It's always fun to talk to fellow photographers.  I learn so much from others!


It was fun photographing the waves


Although the light along the shoreline wasn't the best for photography, it did illuminate crashing waves, giving me something to capture while waiting for sunset.


One of the bigger splashes



Finally that big yellow orb began it's descent to the horizon.



Sun starting to set


I was hoping for some clouds to make the sky interesting, but it was clear skies that night.  However, orange glows emanating from the setting sun weren't too shabby.


Day's last gasp


My new photography friend and I hung out until the sun had completely set and the last color faded from the sky.  Then, being the only people still there, we walked back to our vehicles and said our goodbyes.  I wished him a successful journey and gave him some tips for waterfalls around Portland.



Wonderful sky colors



My nighttime destination was a yurt at nearby Carl Washburne State Park.  I had booked two days and  was planning a return to Cape Perpetua the following morning, hopefully to capture sunrise and more wild wave action.  

I was originally going to combine my entire Cape Perpetua trip into one long blog post.  But since that one unfortunately got deleted, I'm now splitting this into two separate entries.  So you'll have to come back in a few days to see the rest of the story!




16 comments:

  1. ...I hope that your ordeal comes to an end soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't catch a break! Fingers crossed things smooth out for you once again and you are free to return home relatively soon.

    I sure enjoyed Cape Perpetua when I visited with Chantal in June. The Spouting Horn really put on a show for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful captures of all those waves!,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It sure is disheartening when you lose a post. I'm glad you got back to it. Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues. I bet you're ready to be home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They must be crazy to stand out there on those rocks - that's what telephoto lenses are for! Your photos are splendid anyway, without risking your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Linda,
    I am sorry you are still not feeling good, sending get well wishes and healing prayers.
    Yachats was one of my favorite places to visit in Oregon. Your photos of the coastline and sunset are beautiful. Take care, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Linda, on two accounts! So disappointed for you re the set back to your return to full health. I trust that this will be the last hiccup.
    I can fully understand your frustration and wrath, when your post disappeared. It has happened to me but somehow I managed to retrieve it.
    I always enjoy your visit to the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I have done the same thing before now It takes me as much as six hours to write the Church Explorer and I would hate it if I managed to dump it all so I make sure it is saved regularly. Sorry to hear you were unwell and hope you do get over it. The photos were brilliant but Like you I think I'd have stayed back, I hate getting my gear wet and the last thing I'd want on it is seawater. BTW the subscription link works well, I just got this post through it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your health setback. I know you must be anxious to get back home. The photos in today’s post are spectacular .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this area. I have a friend with a vacation rental there. I need to go back! Oh and: Probiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no, so sorry to hear you are sick again. Retirement has not been so much fun for you. I hope you are improving and that you can go home soon.
    Those are some awesome photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear you have been ill, Linda! I's sorry it has been so long since my last blog visit...this summer has been a strange one ain many ways nd I have not been online as much as usual. Right now our state is dealing with very unhealthy air quality from the wildfire smoke blowing our way and it is the pits. I hope you get better soon. We always take pro biotics when we are on antibiotics as it helps the good gut bacteria refresh. Ask your doctor about that. Use the pro biotics that are refrigerated--they are the best. Eating plain yogurt and some fermented food like kimchi also can help if you are allowed to do so.
    I've also had disappearing acts with blog writing happen in the past--no fun and very frustrating! I'm a two finger hunt and peck typist so it takes me a long time to write a post.
    None-the-less these photos are dramatic and amazing! I can't believe the risk some photographers took to stand close to crashing waves like that but it gave you wonderful photos. I remember a blogger in Nova Scotia who often took photos near Peggy's Cove Lighthouse area of people getting swept to sea and drowned because they were trying to photograph the crashing waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat - I ate yogurt and took probiotics every day during my 5-week treatment of iv antibiotics for my brain abscess. I did everything the doctors told me to, so you can imagine how devastated I felt when I came down with this GI infection mere days after going off the antibiotics.

      Delete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.