Sunday, October 11, 2020

Fall Magic at MRNP

For the past few years autumn has been getting shortchanged on my blog.  I always seem to lag behind on summer hiking recaps and by the time January 1st rolls around, I end up skipping over most of fall to start again with winter activities.  

But not this year!  No, for 2020 I've resolved to showcase some of the fall treks I've taken.  So for this post I'm fast-forwarding ahead to the previous weekend where I took in some amazing autumn color at Mt Rainier National Park.

 

And I thought wildflower season was stunning.....


Last September, I'd tried to visit MRNP for the fall color show, only to be foiled by a freak early season snowstorm.  All the trails around Paradise were covered by a few inches of the white stuff.  No way to see any autumn hues through that.....


Myrtle Falls

 

Which gave me even more reason to make a return trip in early October 2020.  After all that's gone wrong in this year, something finally worked in my favor.  The forecast aligned to give me a beautiful sunny weekend - for all three days!


Fat marmot

So hubby and I packed up the truck early last Friday morning and made the 3 1/2 hour drive north.  We lucked out again - securing a campsite as the previous occupant was leaving.  After unpacking and erecting our tent it was time to head up to Paradise, this year snow-free, to see that lovely autumn scenery I'd missed.


Technicolor slopes

 

Although the leaves weren't turning much at the lower elevations of the park, driving the road up to Paradise, things changed in a hurry.  Rounding the final corner to the parking lot, I gasped in joy - the meadows directly below Mt Rainier were a quilt of autumn hues.


The mountain herself adorned with painted foothills

 

Hubby hadn't visited MRNP since the 90's so I was more than happy to show him my favorite places.  We started out on the Skyline trail, hiking counter-clockwise in hopes of spotting wildlife.


Green stream crossing

 

So off we went, hubby walking ahead, me lagging behind photographing the endless parade of colorful slopes and fantastic Mt Rainier views.  At Myrtle Falls, we spotted our first marmot, a fat fellow perched on the slopes directly above the trail.


Skyline Trail high point

 

Then it was a slow uphill climb through increasingly vibrant meadows (a slow climb due to many photo subjects, or so I told myself).  


Down to Panorama Point

 

After a lot of climbing and photo-taking, hubby and I arrived Skyline Trail's high point, a rocky plain with an amazing in-your-face view of Rainier.  Perfect place for a lunch break.


Panorama Point from the trail

Then it was down to Panorama Point for a few quick photos.  The main draw for me here isn't the views but the plethora of friendly chipmunks and ground squirrels that hover nearby hoping for hiker handouts.


Friendly chipmunk
 
 
Having climbed to the highest points, it was now time to descend.  The Skyline Trail wound steeply downhill, passing more fantastic red and gold leaves and mountain vantages.  Although the sky became hazy with smoke from distant California wildfires, the views were still mighty fine.


Fiery red huckleberry leaves

Afternoon light backlit some of the huckleberry leaves to fiery red hues.


Grand mountain view


By now there was a constant stream of uphill hikers, forcing hubby and I to don our masks frequently to pass them all.


Marmot relaxing in the shade

Halfway down we came upon a very friendly marmot, trying to coax goodies from a family with children.  The family didn't give in to the marmot's demands, so it finally sauntered off behind a rock and flopped in a shady spot.


Heading towards the red slope

 

All the way down I kept seeing one slope that was covered in vibrant reds.  When we finally reached this colorful spot, I spent some time trying in vain to capture it's grandeur.


Super colorful spot on the trail

It looked even better from the downhill side, with Mt Rainier anchoring the skyline.


Still some butterflies!

Now nearing the visitor center, hubby and I marched down the very steep Alta Vista Trail, past a few scraggly asters.  Much to our surprise a few butterflies flitted around the flowers.  I had no idea butterflies were still alive in early October, especially at this high elevation (nearly 5500 feet).


Fall colors lit up by the sun

 

Outside the visitor center, hubby and I took a break at one of the picnic tables outside, had a drink and watched the crowds.  At one point, we noticed a group of people standing at a nearby trail junction all pointing. Then several rangers hurriedly took off down the trail.  What was going on?  I walked up and asked two women and they said a bear had been spotted walking on a nearby trail.  The rangers were trying to scare it away before some foolish person got too close.


Reflection Lake

 

A bear!  I'd heard there were a couple of black bears wandering around above Paradise.  Hubby and I had hoped to spot one on our hike.  But as it turned out, we finished half an hour too soon.  Hoping to catch a glimpse of the bear retreating, we grabbed our backpacks and walked down the Skyline trail a short distance.  But it was too late - by that time the bear had left the area, no doubt encouraged to skedaddle by the rangers.


Colorful bushes around Reflection Lake

 

By now it was approaching late afternoon, and tired of the crowds, we retreated to our campsite for an early dinner.  I wanted to capture sunset at nearby Reflection Lake, so hubby and I drove over after a quick bite to eat.  The fall color along the shore was outstanding, as were the mountain views reflected in the lake's waters.  However the sunset was nonexistent.  We stood around waiting for the sky to turn but nothing happened - not even a bit of alpenglow.


Sunset

Defeated, we began driving back to camp.  Passing by one of the roadside viewpoints (that happened to face a different direction than Reflection Lake) we couldn't believe the color of the sky.  There was our sunset!  Hubby pulled over and I jumped out and snapped a few images just as the sun dropped behind the mountains.


Lazy marmot















Hubby and I were disappointed we'd missed the bear.  So the following day we decided to rehike a portion of the Skyline Trail in hopes we'd see it.  We woke up early, and arrived at Paradise as the sun was rising.  To our surprise, there were already quite a few people in the parking lot - apparently lots of others had the same idea.  We even saw a bride and groom and their guests all dressed up and ready for a wedding!


More lovely autumn color

 

We hurriedly passed by Myrtle Falls and began walking by a talus slope.  I spotted a marmot and then two little pikas intermittently began popping their heads out of the rocks.  I was having so much fun photographing these critters I didn't notice hubby had taken off down the trail.  Then I heard him calling my name - he'd spotted a bear!


Mother bear and two cubs! (Image is heavily cropped and zoomed)

 

A mother bear and two cubs had crossed the trail just below where my hubby had stood.  By the time I hustled down to the spot, they had already sauntered far up the slope.  A small group of people stood clustered by the trail, not sure if they should continue.  But hubby and I walked a bit further to a good vantage point.  By this time, the bear and cubs were quite a distance above us - they looked like black dots - so we felt safe standing there.  Hubby watched the bears with his binoculars.  With my zoom lens I was able to get a few photos of the trio.  We observed the bears for a good half hour.  It was fascinating to watch them lumber through the berry fields, trying to fatten themselves for the coming winter.


Painted hillside

Finally deciding we'd watched the bears long enough, hubby and I continued up the trail hoping to spot more wildlife.  We came upon a junction to a side trail that led to the Paradise Glacier.  Having never hiked this direction, I suggested we check it out.


High alpine tundra

 

Good decision!  Not only was the trail relatively deserted, the views were stunning.  High above treeline, the rocky soil was intermittently covered with brilliantly colored vegetation.  The views were incredible - the Tatoosh Mountain Range from one direction, and Mt Rainier looming prominently in the other.


Hiking towards Paradise Glacier


And, as we approached the terminus of Paradise Glacier, hubby spotted three mountain goats perched above a steep, rocky slope. 


Mountain goats!

 

Upon our return to the Skyline Trail, we spotted several marmots wandering through the lush vegetation surrounding one of the glacial streams.  They were furiously eating, trying to store up fat for winter.  One marmot was right beside the trail and I had fun trying to capture it with leaves in his mouth.


Marmot with a mouthful

 

After having lunch sitting on a bench overlooking the colorful valley below Panorama Point, Hubby and I decided to hike down the Golden Gate Trail for a change of pace.  


Blazing colorful tundra

 

I think this was the most beautiful trail above Paradise!  The meadows were streaked with autumn hues. It was as if an artist had taken his paintbrush to the slopes.


Wonderful Golden Gate Trail


 

It took me a long time to hike the 1.5 miles to the next junction.  (Good thing my hubby is so patient!)


Colorful meadow

 

Since we'd gotten such an early start, hubby and I finished our hike shortly after noon.  The Paradise area was now a complete zoo.  Full of weekend hikers, the trails were packed with people.  Wanting to avoid the masses, hubby and I decided to hike another trail somewhere else.


Friendly deer

 

We drove back to Reflection Lakes and snagged a parking space from a departing car.  Although this area was also very busy, I suggested taking the Lakes Trail back up to the Skyline Trail.  I'd never hiked this route before, so was eager to try it.


Mt Rainier view from the Lake Trail

 

Again, another winner!  The fall colors were stellar, views were incredible (especially the last quarter mile) and we saw more wildlife.  We came upon a trio of deer happily munching dinner in the middle of the trail.  They didn't seem scared by our presence, and let me snap quite a few images.


Meadow on the Lakes Trail

 

The final quarter mile before the junction with the Skyline Trail was especially scenic.  Mt Rainier dominated the sky, framed by a meadow dazzling with fall finery.


Ptarmigan

 

After tagging the Skyline Trail, hubby and I hustled back down the Lakes Trail, trying to beat sunset.  About halfway down, I startled a few birds (we think they were ptarmigan) that were pecking through the underbrush.  I was able to get fairly close to one of them and snap a few pictures.


Evening light on the huckleberry leaves

 

In the fading light, we passed an enormous field of blazing red huckleberry leaves, where I took this final image.  One of my favorite of the weekend, I loved the red bushes and light on the mountains and trees above.

Bravo for making it all the way through this long post!  Sorry for all the photos, but with scenery like this, I couldn't decide what to leave out so you got them all.  (Believe it or not, I took so many photos, I could've added even more!)  

 A wonderful weekend at an amazing National Park  - I'm already planning next year's fall trip!


18 comments:

  1. ...you sure didn't short change us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, for sharing these beautiful images.I can only imagine how many images I would get along a trail like any of these.Once again, thanks for sharing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos of an area that few of us ever see. Mountain meadows are one of my favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty sunset you found finally. Lots of marmots and glad you were far away from bears. I like the fall colors. We saw nice trees with colored leaves when we went to Newport Wed. Lots of evergreen trees as well. I enjoyed your photos as usual. Have a good week!!
    Becky L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Wow, what an action packed post. Love the views, fall colors and the wildlife. The bear with cubs was an awesome sighting. Great series of photos. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful images! Such a wonderful outing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The marmot photos are a hoot. Lots of fabulous shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a superb few hikes, amazing views and wildlife. A great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a "Wow" post. Such stunning colors of fall foliage, gorgeous views of the mountains, a waterfall, and those marmots, too funny. So happy you saw the bears & the mountains goats. Loved all of your shots. What a great hike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow! - both to autumn and your fabulous photography. Each one sensational. How wonderful to share it with your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering if Rainier was as crowded as I heard other parks are. Guess so, but you managed to find places without people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great colors, incredible scenery! The marmots are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful autumnal colors and views! I love all the marmots you photographed. They can be so elusive. The one lying flat in the shade trying to cool off made me laugh. Poor fellow, it has also been hot here this autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I can say is WOW WOW WOW! Your timing was perfect. Captures outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful scenery! That last shot is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG you dogs! THAT was perfecto timing! I loved loved area the one time I've visited so it is so fab to be able to travel deeper into it with your tales and photos!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.