Monday, June 15, 2020

Rediscovering Oxbow Park

For people who like to hike, the challenge in May was to find trails that were open despite COVID restrictions.  Someone on a local hiking Facebook page posted photos from Oxbow Regional Park.  Not only did I learn that it was indeed open, the user also posted an adorable photo of a mama merganser with 21 babies floating by her side.  Those little ducklings were all the motivation I needed to plan an outing there the following Friday.


Foggy forest over the park

A 1000-acre natural area on the far eastern end of the Portland Metro area, Oxbow Regional Park offers hiking trails, camping, and access to the Sandy River.  I'd visited there once in 2013, but the place must not have impressed me as I'd never returned.  But with limited hiking options, beggars can't be choosers.  It was time to give this park another chance.


Old mossy log

I drove all the way across town through alternating sun and rain.  The park was located at the end of a very long, winding road, past farmland I didn't know existed.  Down a steep hill through lush forest, I finally arrived at Oxbow Park's entrance.  Although the campground and restrooms were closed, the boat launch and hiking trails were very much open.


Cedar bark close-up

Hoping to find the mother merganser and babies, I parked at the boat launch.  Hiking trails departed in both directions from here.  Which way to go first?  On a whim, I chose the eastern path along the river.


Yawning merganser

Although rain was threatening, the place was absolutely gorgeous.  Heavy moss hung from tree branches, green ferns covered forest floors, and foggy clouds hung in the adjacent wooded hills.  Flowers bloomed along the top of high riverbanks.


Standing at attention

My trail of choice led along the top of a high bank before steeply descending into thick forest at river level.  Glimpsing through a break in the foliage, I spotted a rocky spit in the river.  And perched on this precarious island were a flock of mergansers!


Checking out the ladies

I quickly swapped camera lenses, mounting the largest zoom I had with me.  Then cautiously I crept towards the river bank, hoping not to scare the ducks.  But not to worry - most of the flock were sleeping, and the few that remained awake didn't seem to mind this crazy lady sporting a huge lens.


Not sure what this one was doing - but he sure looked funny!

I got some great photos of the mergansers.  It was fun to sit and watch their antics.  A couple jumped in the river for a quick swim and one took a short flight, only to land in the water again.  But most stayed put and kept dozing.  I was hoping to see the mama and babies, but no such luck.  These were all adults.  Still, it was exciting to see and photograph a different species of waterfowl.


Mossy tree limbs look like arms

Leaving the mergansers to their naps, I continued along the riverside path.  Although diving back into the thick, mossy woods it did offer a few peek-a-boo glimpses of the mighty Sandy River.


Oxeye daisy

And the wildflowers - oh were they thick!  First I passed through a nice clump of Oxeye daisies (which after posting this photo on the Oregon wildflowers Facebook page I later found out were invasive - oops!)


Honeysuckle

There was one bush with lovely orange honeysuckle blossoms.


Creepy looking moss-covered limbs

Then I came to a clearing full of purple lupine flowers.  Absolutely stunning!


Lupine field

My hike may have been delayed due to this floral distraction.


Lupine close-up

Oxbow Park has a long history.  Hundreds of years ago, eruptions from Mt Hood created lahars, huge flows of melted snow and gravel, that buried the area.  The Sandy River carved a path through this debris, creating U-shaped bends where it encountered hard bedrock.  Resembling the oxbow shape of collars used on oxen, the bends are known as oxbows.


Salmonberry

The human history of this region dates back to the Native American tribes who lived, fished and gathered in the area long before white settlers arrived.  The land this park operates on has been ceded from several local Native groups.  In 1988, the Sandy River was designated a National Wild and Scenic river.


Not sure what this was - but loved the intricate little flowers

The best thing about Oxbow Park is its lovely groves of old growth forest that has been preserved.  According to the park's brochure, some of these trees are over 700 years old.  The forest supports a diverse amount of wildlife, including Roosevelt elk, bald eagles, osprey and numerous songbirds and small mammals.  Salmon and steelhead trout make yearly runs up the Sandy River.


Fringecup

In addition to fishing, Oxbow Park is popular on hot summer days.  Many people flock to the Sandy River to swim and float in it's chilly waters.  But - the river's currents are fast and strong and every year I hear of people who require rescue after they misjudge the river and their abilities.


Ferns lined the forest floor

After my lupine photo session,  I followed the path through a very muddy section, sliding down a steep slope to another riverside gravel bank.  Two people were fishing here and, not wanting to disturb them, I turned around and headed back through the forest.  Time to return to the boat ramp and check out another trail.


The woodpeckers have been busy

By now it was late morning, and there were quite a few more vehicles parked at the boat ramp as I walked back through.  Taking the trail westward, I encountered a few family groups right away, causing me to cover my face and step off the trail.  Luckily the other groups were polite and didn't linger.


Mossy tree line up

This path passed by a lovely cedar grove with huge old trees.  One large clearing offered nice views of the Sandy River as it wound around a bend. 


Salal

I'd been fortunate with the weather thus far and had only encountered a few quick sprinkles.  But the weather gods decided it was time to pay up, and not far from the viewpoint the skies finally opened up.  I ducked under a large fir tree and waited out the heaviest rain.


Sandy River

Once the showers finally slowed, I emerged from under the thick fir boughs and continued my riverside trek.  I still held out hope of seeing the mama merganser.  But, there weren't many places that provided river access.  One side trail was bisected by a small creek.  Crossing would've required an ankle-deep wade, and I wasn't keen on getting my boots that wet.


Cedar tree

I continued my trek another 1.5 miles to the Happy Creek picnic area (what a great name for a creek!)  Then, with clouds gathering once again, I decided I'd traveled far enough for one day.  Time to race the rain back to my car.


Makin' friends with a tree

I'd packed a macro lens and passing by a patch of tiny wildflowers, decided since I'd been carrying it around all day why not put it to use?  I focused my camera on some wee starflowers.  I loved the pretty pink-tinged petals and six-sided star.  When I downloaded my photos later that day, I was surprised to see this slender insect posed right next to the flower.  So intent on capturing the bloom, I didn't even notice the bug!


Starflower and friend

Luckily I won the weather race back to my car.  As I was leaving the park, fat raindrops began to splatter on the windshield.  Just in time! 


My kinda sign!

Even though I never did find the mama merganser, I spent a very enjoyable morning rediscovering a beautiful natural area on the outskirts of the Portland metropolitan area.  Hopefully it won't take another pandemic to get me back here again.


11 comments:

  1. Hello, I enjoyed the Mergansers you did find. They are so cute. A lovely variety of wildflowers and lush greenery. The views of the river are pretty. Great hike and photos. Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...gorgeous sights in the rainforest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a great feeling to be able head back onto the hiking trails again with the hope that we have the virus under control

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mossy trees all liked up is like a confused road sign...I like it! You found some lovely flowers! Yes the Purist Wildflower people can be quite nasty about some plants:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous scenes. Those moss covered limbs are fascinating .

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too bad that there's only a small amount of native habitat left. It's like nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sometimes damp but rewarding hike. I imagine if you return post Virus, that the trails will be very busy, being so close to Portland. How wonderful to see the mergansers, if not their ducklings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how we are all discovering local areas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your photos especially the moss covered branches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO lovely and green and all the pretty flowers! I don't believe Hans and I ever hiked at Oxbow.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.