Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Desert View Watchtower

Christmas preparations the past couple weeks forced me to put blogging on the backburner.  But with the shopping finally done and off work until the 2nd, I finally have time again to continue with the last of my Grand Canyon photos.


Tower rising from surrounding trees

I'm rewinding to the day before my sister and I started our Grand Canyon trek (see posts of our hike down the South Kaibab Trail and up the Bright Angel Trail).

Driving into the park from Phoenix, our first stop was at the famous Desert View Watchtower.  Rising up from the surrounding landscape, this unique stone structure was designed by famous Grand Canyon architect Mary Colter.


Hopi art adorns the inside walls

Excited to have finally reached our destination, my sister and I eagerly parked the car and walked up for a closer view.  I'd visited this watchtower on my March 2018 trip, but the place had been so packed with tourists I didn't even bother going inside.  Not so today - crowds were sparse and this time we had no trouble gaining entrance.


Art on the ceiling

The tower's interior was decorated with Native American artwork from the nearby tribes.  Some of the painted images resembled petroglyphs from ancient indigenous peoples.


These drawings resemble ancient Indian petroglyphs

My sister and I climbed the stairs to explore all three levels of the tower.  The very top story was without decoration, but had many windows for visitors to take in the panoramic Grand Canyon views.  On clear days, I was told one could see for well over 100 miles.


Wooden stairs to the very top

Built in 1932, Mary Colter designed the tower from native rock to blend into the environment.  Each exterior stone was selected and carefully placed to ensure the look that Mary Colter had envisioned.  A stickler for detail, she once had a day's worth of stone taken down and re-done because it did not meet her strict specifications.


Canyon view from the window



Looking up

My sis and I were lucky to have arrived on a mostly clear day.  After exploring the tower at length, we emerged to the outdoor viewing area, and gaped at the blue Colorado River winding through the canyon's bottom far below.  Tomorrow we would hike there!



Colorado River and Grand Canyon view

A great introduction to the park, I was glad we'd stopped to explore this area.  But daylight was beginning to fade and my sis and I were eager to get to the South Rim and check into our room for the evening.


Tower close up

There was just enough time to check in and unload our stuff.  Then I grabbed my camera to capture my first Grand Canyon sunset.  Luckily, our room was a mere stone's throw from the rim. 


Sunset near the South Rim village

Once the sun went down, chilly temps came quickly.  My sis and I lingered for a short while, then cold and hunger getting the better of us, we took refuge the nearby Bright Angel Lodge's restaurant for some chow.

I'll have one final post chronicling the day after our big hike, playing tourist on the canyon rim.  Maybe I'll even have some time on Christmas Day to work on it.

Merry Christmas to all my readers who celebrate!


7 comments:

  1. That sunset is SPECTACULAR and I love the pics and information on the tower. How super cool is that! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and rolling on into 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty sunset! Merry Christmas Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...such stark beauty, Merry Christmas Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have stayed at the BA lodge. I love those cabins. I'm headed there now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've visited this tower several times and always in an "off" season when not many tourists were present. Your photos make me nostalgic for the Canyon! Happy 2020 Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, The tower is really cool. I like all the details inside. Wonderful trip and photos. I wish you all the best in 2020, a Happy & Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.