Sunday, January 6, 2019

Montana's National Bison Range

In Montana over the Christmas holiday, I was itching to put my brand-new zoom lens to work photographing the local wildlife.


Welcome to the Bison Range!

The day after Christmas my hubby and son planned to do a little bow hunting for deer.  With the men busy all day, I needed something to keep myself occupied.  Then I remembered the National Bison Range wasn't far from where my son lived.


Mountains emerging from the fog

Established in 1908 by President Theodore Roosevelt, this 19,000 acre refuge is home to nearly 300 bison.  This range is one of the last intact publicly-owned intermountain native grasslands in the U.S.


The mountain scenery was amazing!

Not only bison, this refuge also supports populations of elk, deer, antelope, bighorn sheep, coyotes, mountain lions, bear, bobcat, and over 200 species of birds.  Just the place to give my zoom lens a workout!


Follow the snowy road

So after waiting until midday for the roads to thaw, I pointed my car northwards on Hwy 93.  Midway to my destination, I hit a patch of fog, and worried that it would persist.  But as I turned onto the final local road to the range, sunny skies chased the clouds away and I was rewarded with a beautiful Montana blue-sky winter day.


Snow-topped cattails

Because the bison range was a national facility, I wasn't sure if it would be affected by the government shutdown.  I fretted about driving all the way there only to find the place closed.  But turning off at the highway sign, I found the entrance gates wide open.  Yes!


Golden pastures

Driving towards the shuttered visitor center, the first thing I noticed were the mountains.  Rising up like a wall from the golden plains - they were breathtaking!  A few patches of lingering fog cloaked the highest peaks, adding to the scenic grandeur. 


Post Creek bordered one side

Only one main road through the refuge was open in the winter.  No matter, I was happy to follow the frost-covered route as it contoured over and around the range's rolling hills.


Water scenes

Lack of trees gave drivers fabulous front-row views of the towering mountain peaks.  Around every bend was another stunning panorama that I just had to stop my car for.  Instead of wildlife, my memory card began to fill with images of scenery.


Local deer

There were no other vehicles on this lonesome road through the park.  I drove about 15 miles before deciding to turn around.  I didn't want to get stranded in this remote area, and besides I hadn't seen one single buffalo.


Testing out my zoom lens

I was beginning to think my wildlife quest would be a bust when I spotted two does beside the road.  Slowly I edged myself out of the car, camera in hand.


This doe showed no fear

One doe was skittish, and quickly bounded away.  The other, however, didn't seem fazed having a camera lens pointed her way.


The one and only buck I saw

Further down the road, I saw one buck and got a couple fleeting shots as he retreated.


Magnificent views

The only other wildlife I saw were a dozen ducks and two Canada geese near the creek that formed the range's northern border.  Sadly, I wasn't able to get any good photos of either.


I couldn't get enough of the mountains

But....those mountains....wow.  


Grassy prairie

I really lucked out to visit on such a clear day.  The views alone were worth the long drive.


Lone tree at Ninepipe Reservoir

On my return trip, I decided to loop by the Ninepipe Reservoir, in hopes of finding some waterfowl to photograph.  Another national wildlife refuge surrounded this body of water, so I figured my chances of spotting birds would be good.


Snowy landscape

However, I found the lake frozen solid, and the surrounding landscape a snowy winter wonderland.  Oh well, at least there were more amazing mountain views.


Sunlight streaming through the grass

Although the bison were nowhere to be found, the amazing scenery surrounding Montana's National Bison Range was totally worth the trip.


13 comments:

  1. ...Linda, I must say that you make brown look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've passed by the Bison Range while towing our trailer, never made it into the park. That area is so incredibly beautiful it doesn't even matter that the bison were hiding out! What a beautiful day you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with Bison herds for a few years and enjoy being around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning images, shame the Bison were playing hard to get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those amazing mountains were worth the trip, all by themselves. Fantastic photos, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic mountain scenery and animal shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such abundant beauty - great photos. I love mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those mountains are awesome. I read some of your Hawaii posts from awhile back before we left. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful nature shots. That buck! What an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, totally worth the trip. Fabulous snowy landscape and photography!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! It's a nice adventure. I felt you were lucky to find entrance gates. The photos of local deers and a buck are very cool. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you really got some great shots of those deer. I often see deer on my running trail and it seems as if they are posing for me sometimes (not that close though)! -M

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.