Saturday, April 23, 2016

A Hot Half

I'm back!  I'm back!  I've returned to running!

My daughter and I before the start

Some of you may remember in October 2014 I had bunion surgery on my right foot, and then had the pins removed the following June.  Having endured the same surgeries on my left foot several years before, I knew recovery would be a long process.  But I hadn't anticipated how difficult it would be returning to running.

Starting line crowd

It took a long time to get back into the habit.  All through the dark, rainy winter, I'd get up early two mornings a week and join my neighbor for a 3-4 mile romp around the neighborhood (if not for her, I would've stayed in bed!).  Then I'd attempt longer distances on Saturdays.  Some days my foot would do okay, others it was achy and cranky, and throbbed for the rest of the day.

Annd...we're off!

But I kept at it.  Continued my physical therapy, occasionally iced the area, and if nothing else worked, I'd resort to good old "vitamin I." (ibuprofen that is)  Slowly, I built my mileage up.

You see, I had a goal in mind.  Every April I run the Corvallis Half Marathon.  Last year, a still-healing foot forced me to sit this race out.  I was bound and determined to toe the starting line in 2016.

Flag man

And last Sunday that's exactly what I did.  I drove to the college town of Corvallis, home of Oregon State University (go Beavs!).  My daughter, who lives nearby and is also an OSU alumni, came along as spectator and support person.

Cruising through campus

Spring here in Oregon is normally cool and wet.  That's the conditions I'd been training in.  However, race week, the weather decided to do a complete turnaround and morph into summer.  Highs in the 80s were forecast for Sunday.  Noooo!!  I don't do so well in hot weather, and it being early spring still, my body wasn't used to running in heat at all.

OSU campus in bloom

But you can't change the weather, and all I could do was put on my big girl panties and deal with it.  Knowing the heat would slow me down anyway, I decided to take things easy and just enjoy my first post-surgery half marathon.  That, and drink lots of water!

Yay shade!

My daughter accompanied me to the starting line, in the heart of the Oregon State campus.  It was a festive scene.  Runners dressed in colorful attire mingled and the OSU pep band played some upbeat tunes.  Time passed quickly, and before I knew it the crowd was counting down, a horn blasted, and I found myself shuffling across the timing mats.   Showtime!

Slow down runners!

The first two miles wind through the beautiful Oregon State campus.  I admired the stately brick buildings and the colorful landscaping, in the height of spring bloom.  Spectators lined the streets, waving and shouting encouragement.

Great pic courtesy of Corvallis Half Marathon

I deliberately kept my pace slow and soaked in the scenery passing by.  Since I don't run with music, I also enjoyed listening to the other runner's conversations around me.  By mile 3, our course left the OSU campus and headed towards the outskirts of town on a wide bike path.

Passing through the covered bridge

One of my favorite parts of the Corvallis Half Marathon course - the bike path passes through a cute covered bridge.  Not only did I get a few images of the bridge, one of the course photographers caught me exiting the other side (camera in hand!)

The photographer caught me in action!

After mile four, the bike path continued through a large natural area at the foot of a hill.  This was my favorite part of the course - the entire area was bright green with new spring foliage.  We passed by a scenic old barn (that I didn't get a photo of).  It was absolutely beautiful.  And - there was even a bit of shade here and there, which was a good thing, as the day had already heated up.

Lovely countryside west of town

By mile 5, I was beginning to feel a hot spot under the big toe joint of my left foot.  I'd had trouble with this area on some of my training runs, and hoping to head off trouble, had applied a liberal amount of Bodyglide that morning.  But it appeared the heat had worn it off.  My daughter was meeting me near the park at mile 8, and I was now wishing I'd asked her to bring the Bodyglide stick out of my car.

Purple Camas in bloom

Well, nothing I could do about it now...the course then left the nice green natural area and dumped us runners out on a semi-busy road.  Despite my left foot issue, I realized I was feeling pretty good and holding a faster pace than anticipated.  Passing by the halfway mark, I thought to myself if I kept it up, I'd probably finish with a time of  2:10, faster than anticipated.

Will this  hill ever end?

But...that's what happens when one begins to get overconfident.  Mile 7 to 8 totally kicked my butt.  The course followed another busy road up a gradual incline.  Although not terribly steep, it was enough to take the wind out of one's sails.  Not only was I running uphill, there was no shade to be found.  Blazing hot sun baked my body.  I didn't think mile 8 would ever come.

Relief at mile 8

But finally I saw the trees and the park ahead.  After passing through an aid station (where not only did I drink a cup of water, I also poured another on my head) I looked around for my daughter.  Not seeing her in the crowd, I had no choice but to continue on.  Although disappointed, I reckoned she must've gotten stuck in traffic.

Fun garage band

Now for some blessed downhill!  Not only did the course follow a steep downhill, the wind had picked up and a strong breeze flowed over me.  After the hot uphill it felt divine! 

However, my left foot was beginning to really bother me.  Disappointed that I wasn't able to catch my daughter, I realized there was probably a good sized blister already forming on my foot.  Oh well, nothing I could do about it.  Trying not to think about the discomfort, I pushed on.

The final push (thanks Corvallis Half for the free race photos!)

Now the course wound through a series of neighborhood streets.  Many of the residents lined the sidewalks, waving signs and shouting encouragement.  By this point of the race, it was much appreciated!

Girls on the Run water station

Almost to the mile 10 marker, I looked over at an adjacent parking lot and there was my daughter!  She snapped a few photos of me, and I stopped briefly to say hello.  As I thought, she'd been stuck in traffic and unable to reach the mile 8 park.  I almost asked her to get the Bodyglide for my foot, but then reasoned with only three miles left, maybe it was better to just hurry up and finish.  So I continued on.

Gorgeous pink rhody bush

Mile 10 brought a welcome surprise.  A garage band had set up on someone's driveway and was entertaining the runners with loud, upbeat music.  So much appreciated!

Also appreciated - between miles 11 and 12 some wonderful residents had set up sprinklers in the street.  A nice volunteer was pointing runners towards them.  Oh, did that cold water feel good!  I didn't even care if it got my camera wet (it was in a case so no worries).  Then, passing by another park, I spotted a mother with two young boys who were equipped with super soakers.  I held up my hands and told one of the boys to squirt me.  And boy did he!  But it felt great, and was a welcome relief.

Reser Stadium is in sight!

The final two miles of the course were the toughest.  I was tired, it was unbearably hot, and by now my left foot was calling me bad names.  I ran up fraternity row, and was disappointed not to see any beer-drinking frat boys cheering the runners as they had in past years.  Then, dropping back onto the OSU campus, I knew the end was close.  Admiring some lovely pink rhody bushes, I was surprised to see another photographer capturing pics of the hot, tired runners.  (And he got another shot of me with my camera in hand!)

Amost there!!

Again circling through the OSU campus, the last mile seemed to take forever.  But when I spied the top of Reser Stadium, I knew the end was near.  In previous years, the finish line has been on the 50-yard line of Reser Stadium.  However, due to construction, this year's finish was on the adjacent street.  Although kind of disappointing, by the time I saw the finish banner, I was happy to be done.  I crossed the line with a time of 2:18:57, right about where I thought I'd be.

I was never so happy to see the finish!

After reuniting with my daughter, downing some water and a cup of hard-earned beer, (it tasted sooo good!) I finally worked up the nerve to pull off my left shoe and sock.  There on the bottom of my foot was the biggest blister I've ever seen.  I decided it was probably a good thing I didn't try and fix it at mile 10 - I might have been too freaked out to finish.

Glad to be done

It's good to be back in the running groove!  I'm happy to race the Corvallis Half once again.  Despite the crispy temps, not only did I get a decent time (13th out of 52 in my age group I later discovered) my rebuilt foot behaved wonderfully (wish I could say that for my other foot....)

Thanks to my daughter for being my support person once again.  And thanks to the folks putting on the Corvallis Half for another great race.  I'll see you again in 2017.


  1. Congratulations. A job well done.

  2. Good for you! I can't imagine myself doing anything like this, certainly not for fun.

  3. So glad you made it across the finish line!!!
    Hope your poor foot heals fast.
    Wonderful post, Linda. Loved it all.

  4. Many, many congrats on finishing the half marathon. No mean feat after the surgery and running in very warm weather is horrible especially after the training is all done in the cold weather. As I read your post I have the TV on watching the start of the London Marathon. 35,000 people will compete today from the best in the world to the fun runners. I watch the start on TV then go out onto the roads to cheer them on and maybe even gather some photos.

  5. The covered bridge shot is my favorite. Really nice photos of a great activity. Good for you.

  6. Hello Linda, congrats on finishing the Corvallis half. You are amazing, running with a blistered foot. I enjoyed the photos, the covered bridge is pretty. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

  7. Congrats for recovering enough to do that, and sticking with the training! Of course for a young woman like yourself .... The daughter is the taller one, right?

  8. How wonderful you did this race and congratulations on finishing it.

  9. BodyGlide is the bomb. I don't get running blisters, but I use it all the time for hiking.

  10. Great come back the running. Congratulations on the marathon. I quit running at age 71. I missed it but I was finished. I didn't do marathons of races. I did my 3-5 weekly runs.

  11. Many congratulations. Well done!

    Lovely to see the blossom photo, brilliant to see all the running ones.

    All the best Jan

  12. Congratulations! That was quite a welcome back into the running world. And I'm glad you finished, blisters and all. :-)

  13. Congratulations to you, Linda, and great photos of this event!

  14. Great job...blister and all! Love your Beaver colors too! My daughter went to OSU too so I know the area reasonably well.

    Good for you for getting back into running, and well enough that you could run a half! My running days are over and I sometimes miss them. Thank goodness I can still hike!

  15. Congratulations - that's a longer run than I'll ever do. It looks like a perfect day!

  16. Fantastic Linda. Awesome return given the heat. As always wonderful photos. I just love the pinky rhododendron. I've not seen such a soft colour before.

  17. Well done you. Great achievement. I often see large numbers of folk now walking or cycling, permanently plugged into headphones all the time when outdoors. Like you, I prefer taking to people around me for motivation and interest if I'm doing anything outside although I love my music in the house or car.

  18. Congrats for your positive attitude. Keep going!

  19. Congrats!!! I know running this race again meant a lot to you, I'm so happy to see you made it without your foot falling off, hehe. :)

  20. I am so impressed with you. Great accomplishment.

  21. Uma bela corrida e parabéns à minha amiga que conseguiu acabar.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

  22. proud of you dear and heartiest congratulations ,you have fighting sprite ,this gives you the reason to be more grateful and confident

  23. Way to go! You did it, I hope your blister healed up okay. My Nephew went to OSU he played football for the Beavers, he was a Kicker, we attended a game there once:)

  24. wow, it is amazing that you can run that much now! I hope you do not over do it now! Congrats!

  25. Hurray for you and congratulations! I'm glad that your repairs of the bunions weren't what were giving you problems - the blister will heal in its own good time. I may have to see a DR about my own bunion problems. I'm dreading being off my feet at my age for months of healing. I keep postponing the inevitable. Heat is not my friend - especially when exercising.

  26. Congratulations, Linda! It must be wonderful to get back into a sport you clearly enjoy and missed the past couple of years.

  27. congrats. hope the blister is all healed.

  28. How do you take such good running photos? I always look like death!


Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.