Monday, August 21, 2017

Bloggers Finally Meet!

One of the best things about having a blog is reading stories from all the fascinating bloggers out there.  Many I've "known" for years, trading comments on each other's posts.  But it's rare to actually meet one in person.

Well.....the weekend before last I got my chance.


Mary and I at the PCT in Cascade Locks

I've always admired Mary from The Mountains are Calling.  She's a writer, former wildland fire fighter, ex-wilderness ranger, and superstar PCT section hiker (just to name a few).  Although she's an Oregonian like me, we lived on opposite ends of the state.  Then this summer Mary learned she would be temporarily residing in Central Oregon.  This was my opportunity - I'd probably never be any closer.  We traded emails and promised to connect next time I traveled her way.

Mary's been section hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) every chance she gets.  One of the portions she needed to complete was between Cascade Locks (in the Columbia River Gorge) south to Olallie Lake.  I offered to give her a ride to the Cascade Locks trailhead from Central Oregon the weekend before last.  We had a great trip, and it was fun to chat with another blogger I've followed for so long.

Mary's latest post recaps this particular section hike.  She traveled 20-24 miles per day for four long days, plus an 8-mile trek the afternoon I dropped her off.  (Wow!  And I whine when I dayhike two 10 mile days in a row....Told you she was a superstar)

And....Mary is also a published author.  Her book "The Geography of Water" was nominated for the 2017 Oregon Book Awards for fiction.  I've read her book and it's very good.  She writes beautifully - wish I had her way with words.  Mary also has a second book coming out in September called "Fire in the Heart" which is a memoir detailing her experiences as a wildland firefighter.  I can't wait to read it!

So - everyone please visit Mary's blog (link here) and leave her a comment.  Or read her book(s).  Or do both!

Nice to meet you, Mary.  Here's hoping we meet again on a trail somewhere.



16 comments:

  1. ...bloggers can be an interesting bunch, I've met a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it is wonderful you were able to meet the blogger Mary. I am sure she has many tales from her hikes on the PCT! I will go and check out her blog. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to another blogger. I'll go visit her site and probably order a book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have the opportunity to meet a fellow blogger, Linda! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is simply marvellous. I love the photo of you together. I had read her latest post of this hike. I too am amazed at the distance she travels, but then I am also amazed with your efforts and it is rarely flat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet another mountain hiker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Linda! It was great to meet you. Next time I won't be sniffling and your foot will be fine and we will go for a hike! Ps. I talk about my books on my more boring professional site, maryemerick.com, but don't feel pressured to buy! I love finding new blogs so will check out all these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! It's fun to meet fellow bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always so much fun to meet fellow bloggers. I'll go check out her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to meet up with a blogging friend! I'll be sure to check out Mary's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun - I have yet to meet a blogger in person like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a female firefighter! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post - I have only met one fellow blogger. Most of my visits come from way, way away - so its not a surprise I don't see many. One day.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. How exciting to meet a fellow blogger. Mary sounds like a fun and interesting person. I'll be sure to check out her blog.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.