Sunday, June 25, 2017

Dog Mountain Morning


My choice of hikes this spring kind of look like a "Gorge's greatest hits."  There was Coyote Wall, Dalles Mountain Ranch, Memaloose Hills, and most recently, Eagle Creek.

Of course this list wouldn't be complete without a journey up the steep, wildflower-covered slopes of Dog Mountain.


Sun breaking through the forest

A humble hill on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge, most of the year this trail doesn't get much love.  But when the balsamroot bloom in late May, hikers flock here in droves.


My friend the balsamroot

During peak bloom, vehicles pack into the small parking area, and cars line the side of Hwy 14 in either direction.  Then last year authorities downsized the parking area through a re-striping project, posted "no parking" signs along the highway, and vigorously enforced these new rules.  Hearing horror stories of the lot filling by early morning and huge crowds on the trail, despite the parking restrictions, I stayed away in 2016. 


Spectacular first view of the upper meadow

But Dog Mountain is one of my favorite spring hikes, and I'd missed visiting it's flower fields. This year I decided to go anyway.  The heck with the crowds and parking mess!


Prime bloom, baby!

Close monitoring of local hiking and wildflower Facebook pages gave me clues as to when peak bloom would occur.  Then I picked the closest Friday and made sure to leave my house bright and early.  My plan worked like a charm - pulling into the parking lot at 6:30 am, I was the 8th vehicle.


The balsamroot covered Dog Mountain's slopes

Since I've hiked "the Dog" dozens of times, I usually don't take many photo stops in the first half.  The path starts murderously steep, and stays that way much of the first mile, switchbacking through a mostly viewless forest.  I put my head down and slowly trudged up the incline.


Classic Columbia River view from Puppy Point

About halfway to the top views open up, and weary hikers are treated to a preview of the summit vistas.  The Columbia River stretches out below in a bright blue ribbon, perfectly framed by the steep cliffs of the Oregon side and Wind Mountain on the Washington side.


Looking towards the eastern Gorge

I was delighted to see cheery sunflower-yellow balsamroot flowers gracing the hillsides here.  About the time I reached this lower viewpoint, the moring sun burst through the trees, creating a great sunburst photo op.


My kind of sunshine

But even better stuff awaited on top!  So after a quick photo session and snack break, I continued my climb.


Steep trail winds through the upper meadows

The second portion of the trail climbed relentlessly.  It was a tough, grueling trek but again I took the "slow and steady" approach.  Before I knew it the forest began parting to reveal the stunning summit meadows.


Wind Mountain view

The upper meadows were in prime shape.  Covered with thousands of balsamroot flowers, the slopes were colored yellow.


Kaleidoscope of color

The trail cut a path through this wildflower paradise and I followed it an old lookout tower site.  Perched over the Gorge, it gave higher panoramic views of the river and Gorge cliffs below.  Nicknamed "Puppy Point" by the local hiking community it was a great place to soak in the iconic views of Wind Mountain and the Columbia River before the final half mile summit slog.


Looking back towards Puppy Point

As always, my pace always slows when I reach the lower summit meadows.  So. Many. Flowers.  I just want to capture it all!


Relaxing on the summit

It took quite awhile for me to cover the final distance to Dog Mountain's summit.  The morning light illuminated the flowers and Gorge below perfectly, and I was in photographic heaven.


Wind Mountain and the western Gorge

Finally, I joined about a dozen other people for a quick mid-morning snack and rest break on the very top.  Tiny buttercup-like flowers covered the meadows, and I spied the very tip of Mt Hood rising over the Oregon side.


Can you spot Mt St Helens?

As always, I take the Augspurger Mountain Trail back down.  Although longer, it's not as steep, and passes by more outstanding wildflower meadows.  And you get a bonus view of Mt St Helens.


Dewy phlox blooms

And, as expected, the upper Augspurger Trail did not disappoint! Not only balsamroot, but I also saw lavender phlox, deep purple larkspur, stunning orange Indian paintbrush, white prairie stars, and even a nice patch of chocolate tiger lilies.  Truly Mother Nature's kaleidoscope!


Soaking in the sun

Come, walk down the Augspurger Trail with me.  I'm going to cut out the commentary, and just let you all enjoy the next few photos.


The flower fields on Upper Augspurger Trail were fantastic too.


Yellows and purples


I never tire of this view!


Flowers in the sunlight

After leaving the lovely upper meadows, it was a quick downhill trek through peaceful green forests until the parking area came into view.  Now late morning, it was plum full.  I spotted a line of four vehicles circling the parking lot like vultures, waiting for open spaces.  A pickup truck spied me walking to my car, and patiently waited while I took off my boots and loaded my gear.


Indian Paintbrush

Waking up early paid off big time.  Not only did I get a parking spot, I also had the trails largely to myself and - bonus - wonderful morning light to boot.  And it was great to revisit one of my favorite spring wildflower spots!


Sharing with:  Through My Lens

22 comments:

  1. Linda, what a glorious burst of colour and joy in your photos! Scenic...stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drool, drool, drool! Thank you for transporting me to this slice of heaven. I thought of you lots when travelling and snapping wild flowers, but nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...what a sunny post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic views, I'm learning to look forward to your wild flower posts at this time of year. More please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful.. love all the wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, what a gorgeous hike. I love the beautiful views of the mountains and river below. The flowers are all beautiful. Great post and awesome photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite picture is the shot with Mt. St Helens in the background. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a spectacular wildflower display! You most certainly were up before dawn to arrive at the trailhead by 6:30...talk about motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most people have no ideas of the flowers found in mountain meadows. Thanks for your effort to show us the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful wildflower covered hills! The balsamroot flower seems like a real winning wildflower in your area--it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had some really great light! Your panorama images have a Sound of Music feel to them. I tried this trail with my son last year, but we didn't even make it to the first vista. It's a really steep climb!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great hike and spectacular views.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a phenomenal place. I've been amazed by your post each year! Except for the " murderously steep" comments, I'd put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can see why this is a favourite spot. It is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bom dia, invejo as suas caminhadas pelo meio da natureza, apreciar a mesma e respirar o ar puro é fantástico,a selecção de fotos são lindas.
    Continuação de boa semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each season, you find wonderful things to show us! I do appreciate your awesome photos of loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a hike. It is just so very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hiked Dog Mountain and my one overriding impression was how steep it was. However, it wasn't flower season and after looking at your pictures, I feel I missed a true Dog Mountain experience, Thanks a lot, Linda! Seriously, great photos which make the hike worth getting up early in the morning for

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really spectacular flower meadows. Great sunburst shot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely views, and I love the yellow flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! That balsamroot flower is really prolific! I don't think I've ever seen that flower here, We have a d=smaller yellow daisy looking flower that grows sub-alpine and alpine called "old Man of the Mountain" but never in such large numbers!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please leave a comment.